Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP

Options
Jerome Poole
Jerome Poole Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For 16 hrs cooked at around 225 dome internal temp got to 178 I am cooking 3 7-8 lbs butts took a nap temp dropped to 150 dome 158 internal opened got temp back to 250 with internal 195 this has been about 16 hrs cooking time is the temp enough have I cooked it long enough?
THANKS JEROME

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Jerome,[p]You are in fine shape and you can pull them now but it is unusaul to have all of them the same temp. 195 internal is great but be sure to check each butt and don't pull any of the off sooner unless you want to slice them. [p]Dave

• Fire in the Hole
    Options
    Jerome,[p]You are pretty close to pulling the butts off the smoker. My target is 195-200 internal and it looks like your total cooking time is spot on to my target of 2 hours per pound.[p]Personally, I like to wrap mine and let them rest for a while before I pull the pork apart. I use a restaurant-grade plastic wrap (others use aluminum foil) to wrap the butt. Then wrap it in a towel and place it in a warm ice chest for a little while. This lets the butt stew in it's own juices for a little while longer.[p]Let it sit for an hour or so then pull away![p]Wish I could be there to help sample![p]Happy 4th!![p]:)
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I surround the wrappped meat with crumpled newspapers when I put it in the ice chest.[p]Toy Man
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jerome,
    Jerome, I still say the dome temp cooking butts should stay around 250 from the beginning to the end, not to go below 235 nad not above 275. [p]Jerry

• BigAL
    BigAL Posts: 29
    Options
    Jerome,
    I tried a buffalo brisket Saturday...was about 5 lbs...no quesion on the fat up or down thing because buffalo doesn't have any...or so's you can notice. I gave it a rub down and put 'er on at 1130am figurin on eating about 5...well I cooked and cooked at 200 to 220 and finally took it off at 615pm and it still wasn't done...so back on till 930 (we ordered checked for the dinner)....I may have tried my last buffalo brisket...We ate some and it tasted fine but is is still tough...may slice some some up for new soles on my shoes....Good luck