Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to Split a Brisket

Options
watertank
watertank Posts: 2
edited August 2012 in Beef

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Hey Folks,

Wife wants barbacoa in the crock pot so I’m going to barbacoa 5-7 lbs and smoke the other.

Looking for recommendations on where to divide the sections and what portion (side) should go to what process.

I’m a rookie on both…hoping I don’t screw both of them up!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options

I'm a rookie WRT barbacoa so no answer there but here is a great brisket link that defines the sections of a brisket and how to indentify, separate and much more-

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You could separate the point from the flat.  What I did when I turned a packer brisket into corned beef was cut it roughly in half and put the point side on the grill (pastrami) and cooked the flat-only side on the stove. 

The flat dries out easier on the egg, so purpose that for the barbacoa.
    Options
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You could separate the point from the flat.  What I did when I turned a packer brisket into corned beef was cut it roughly in half and put the point side on the grill (pastrami) and cooked the flat-only side on the stove. 

The flat dries out easier on the egg, so purpose that for the barbacoa.
    I like this. I would cut it in half width wise where it really starts to get thicker. You will have the point side to smoke and the flat side to braise. Traditional barbacoa is cheek meat which would be more like the point but I would still do it this way if you were bent on using the brisket for both.

Cheek meat is very high in fat and it has a grain that runs multiple ways like a brisket point. It braises up very well
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • watertank
    Options

Thanks everyone, point it is!

CT, looks like the americanized way is brisket.  With the popularity of Chipolte that'd be a lot of cheeks.  We'll see how it goes, hoping for something like Torchy's!

Shiff, nice read on the link.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Thanks everyone, point it is!

CT, looks like the americanized way is brisket.  With the popularity of Chipolte that'd be a lot of cheeks.  We'll see how it goes, hoping for something like Torchy's!

Shiff, nice read on the link.

If you are talking about the Democrat Taco at Torchy's, that's definitely brisket and you should be able to get pretty close. One of my favorites. Try a trashy trailer park next time you are there. heaven on a plate

• watertank
    Options
    That's the one!  Never had the trashy trailer park, I'll give it a go next time.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That's the one!  Never had the trashy trailer park, I'll give it a go next time.
    Fried chicken, queso and pico in a taco. What could possibly go wrong?