Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cajun Boudin Recipe

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
There are lots on google, but not being familiar with the different choices, would like to know if my EGGhead friends have a favorite?  Either sausage or balls.  TIA

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I'd be interested as well.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chunky_Charc
    Options

Are you wanting to make boudain from scratch?  If so I cannot help.  I live in Southeast Texas and there are just too many good choices around here for buying boudain by the link.

I do, however, like my boudain simple.  I buy a couple of pounds of link, brush on the oil of my choice....usually olive oil, but am hearing that peanut oil may be better.  Build me a fire and stabilize at around 225-240....throw in some smoking wood (cherry, apple, pecan or hickory)...and put the links on for about 2 hours or until the casing becomes crisp enough that you can eat the link like a sausage link.  Easy stuff that always satisfies.

Now a bit of warning if you do make your own boudain......I have eaten a lot in my 51 years and I have tasted some that is wonderful and I have tasted some that is awful.  the recipes vary greatly from one person to the next.  Some like a bunch of liver, some with none, and some in between.  Some is hot, hot, hot spicey hot and some just have no cajun fling at all.  Some are made quite moist and some quite dry.  My point is be prepared to try many different variations before you get it just right...and if you ever get it just right begin turning people on to it because you could have a big money maker!

I am lucky since there are so many variations being made in my part of the country that I can try others without having to make from scratch.

Happy Egging!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They sell boudin sausage and boudin balls everywhere down here.  The balls are breaded, fried boudin.  You usually see them in convenience stores that sell fried chicken (very common here). 

Personally, I don't like the boudin balls.  The sausage has enough fat in it that it doesn't need to be breaded and fried.  Plus, in my opinion, fried stuff takes on the flavor of whatever you've been frying in that oil....makes everything taste similar.

I love boudin sausage.  There are many small artisan Cajun sausage operations in south LA, especially in Cajun country down towards New Iberia, Morgan City and Houma. 

Typically, if it's smoked or not, it's steamed and served in the casing.  I'll smoke it lightly sometimes, but it's just easier to steam for 5 minutes in a pot with a little water. 

Boudin is the ultimate dirty rice.
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Fried balls from: http://boudinlink.com/Rabideauxs/Rabideauxs.html I did these at LawnRangers last month on his Mini. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I went over to the smoke ring to see if soembody had a recipe.

3 pounds Bone-In Pork Butt, sliced or Pork Steaks
    1 pound Braunschweiger
    1-1/2 Tbsp Kosher Salt
    2 Tbsp Cracked Black Peppercorns
    1 Tbsp Dried Thyme
    1-1/2 tsp Cayenne (60K) Pepper
    1 tsp White Pepper
    1/4 Cup Fresh, finely chopped Parsley or Cilantro
    2 small onions, quartered
    2 Green Onions, chopped
    2 ribs Celery, chunked up
    1 Bay Leaf
    2 Cups Uncooked Long Grain Rice
    2 Cups Reserved Stock
    2 Cups Water

And the directions are here.

I'd trust the guy who posted it, Jarhead. He's never let me down on his other stuff I've tried.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Interesting - I might try that.  I regularly buy Braunschweiger for my liver, mustard and onion sammiches.