Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

foil questions

Options
Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

So one time in my whole life I foiled some ribs.  I liked them, Wife said they were "mushy".  Since then my ribs have been good but not great.  I'm thinking "what she don't know won't hurt her".

So is it shiny side in our out?  Does it make no difference?

I saw a post where it was suggested removing the foil at the very end to restore crispy.  Does that work?

Thanks

bob

My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    The only time I wrap anything is to keep it warm after it's done.  My philosophy is wrapping is wrong.

Do what you like though.  I would do a slab wrapped and a slab unwrapped and do a comparison.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

So one time in my whole life I foiled some ribs.  I liked them, Wife said they were "mushy".  Since then my ribs have been good but not great.  I'm thinking "what she don't know won't hurt her".

So is it shiny side in our out?  Does it make no difference?

I saw a post where it was suggested removing the foil at the very end to restore crispy.  Does that work?

Thanks

bob

Hey Bob- never heard there was a difference with shiny side in or out. You can absolutely take the foil off at the end and firm up the crust. I've done that and it works. I'm not a big foil guy, but there are many success stories on here and elsewhere so go for it if you like. Good reults can be had with foil or without. Do some digging and see what you like
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I'm a 100% no foil guy, BUT I used to foil all the time.  Once you get good at your temp, got the rub you like, the wood you like then you are going to have good ribs either way.

I agree with your wife about "steamed" ribs being mushy, but I have a son that I do one rack that way for him because that is the way he likes them.

You will figure out what works for you.
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    I was told back in 7th grade home ec Shiny side in the heat reflects off the shiny-er ( is that even a word) side to promote even browning. Now if that is true or not who knows! Ha ha,
  • Duganboy
    Options
    @LizzieSamps  They had aluminum foil back then? :-O
  • WickedIsland
    Options
    I was told back in 7th grade home ec Shiny side in the heat reflects off the shiny-er ( is that even a word) side to promote even browning. Now if that is true or not who knows! Ha ha,

+1 and I think the dull side may have a slight bit of a non stick situation going on
  • LizzieSamps
    Options

OUCH! I am not even 40 don't age me before my time!
  • Duganboy
    Options

OUCH! I am not even 40 don't age me before my time!

:D
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    no diff.  they now have the capability to make both sides shiny, but don't, because half the people would be angry.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Unless you are using the 'non stick' foil because you don't want your food sticking.  Only the dull side is non stick, so it goes in toward the food.
    Options
    I had no idea about the non stick part. Awesome thanks!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    From america's test kitchen (knew I read this somewhere), for temp makes no difference.

Same from Reynolds site: 

Which side of Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil should I use, the shiny or the dull side?

Actually, it makes no difference which side of the aluminum foil you use both sides do the same fine job of cooking, freezing and storing food. The difference in appearance between dull and shiny is due to the foil manufacturing process. In the final rolling step, two layers of foil are passed through the rolling mill at the same time. The side coming in contact with the mill's highly polished steel rollers becomes shiny. The other side, not coming in contact with the heavy rollers, comes out with a dull or matte finish.

The exception is when using Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil. The non-stick coating is applied during manufacturing to the dull side of the foil. Always place the non-stick (dull) side toward the food.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2012
    Options
    +1 Tazcrash - was gonna come in & say it was due to the manufacturing process.  

As far as the ribs - we usually get our ribs from Costco, and they come 2 racks to a pack.  Sooooo, what ya could do is make a rack the way you like it (foiled), and make a rack the way your wife likes it.  

BTW, if you are foiling, you may wanna do the 3-1-1 method (3 hrs no foil, 1 hr foil usually mopped w/ some sort of sauce / glaze & wrapped in the sauce / glaze, then 1 hr no foil to help crisp back up).  

I actually did that same thing (opened up a Costco pack of 2 racks & did 1 of them foiled & 1 not at the same time) as an "egg-speriment" to give a side-by-side taste comparison to see which way we preferred, and luckily, both of us preferred the same way, which was NO foil.  Another cool side benefit is that it's easier - just apply your rub, set in the Egg & forget about it for ~5 hrs!!  Easy peazy!!  :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee