Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WIreless / Remote Thermometer

Options
swbouton
swbouton Posts: 24
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,

I've had by large BGE for about 6 weeks now and it is becoming an obsession.  I am not much of a griller, but things are looking up.

I think I should buy a good wireless thermometer that can withstand the temperatures of the BGE.  I am looking at Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732.

What do you folks think?  Is a wireless thermometer a good idea?  What do you experts recommend?

Thanks for your help.,

Steve

Comments

• rickHP
    rickHP Posts: 49
    Options

Wireless is a good choice if you do a lot of low and slow cooks, like brisket and pork shoulder. Not so necessary for high and fast like steaks - so not sure it needs to "withstand the temperatures of the BGE"

I have the Maverick and like it a lot and it seems to be the wireless of choice around here.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I use mine ONLY for low & slows. The dome thermometer works good enough for me for higher temps where close is good enough.  I have the former Maverick model (ET-73) and it's 9-10 years old now.  Original probes too!  If mine ever dies, I'll be purchasing the ET-732.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• cas_sj
    cas_sj Posts: 6
    Options

Absolutely love my Maverick for ribs, shoulders, brisket, rib roast (yeah!), even chicken (spatchcocked of course).  It's essential - wouldn't try cooking any of those without it now.

Don't even bother with steaks, chops, hamburgers, etc - unnecessary for anything that you're not going to cook low and slow.  (Well, the chicken I would typically cook at something like 375, so technically that may not be "low and slow", but you get the point.)

• cas_sj
    cas_sj Posts: 6
    Options

ps....  For the high temperature cooks, a quick digital probe is what you need.  You'll probably find most here swear by the Thermapen - yep, pricey - but I wouldn't be without that either.  (Wish I had waited for the one with the flames!)

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Love my Maverick, especially since my porch faces west; when its 99 degree out its sure nice to glance over at the meat temp in the Air Conditioning from my La-Z-Boy...  

One warning, the instructions tell you not to immerse the probes in water.  I killed my meat probe with a quick dunk in the sink, had only been used a few times.   
    :((

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    +1 love my maverick, and I baby it because of that. 
    No water at end of probe where wire goes, no searing temps. No exposure (even the wire)  over direct heat. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    I got one too and have had no problems with it.  My bedroom and side of the bed is as far away from my egg as I can get in my home and the wireless works great.  Got mine from Fred.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I got the Mav 732 and like it. Go for it. Has good range as well.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• swbouton
    swbouton Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses.  I appreciate it