Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long?

Options
bertscampers
bertscampers Posts: 136
edited August 2012 in Pork
I'm doing my first pork butt.  Its 10 lbs and I'm wondering approximately how long it will take.  I am planning on cooking at 250 dome temp.  Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Comments

• LizzieSamps
    Options
    1 1/2 to 2 hrs a pound is a good estimate!  Congrats on your first butt!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Or what Lizzie said. :P
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Don't be afraid to cook at a little higher temp, but don't feel like you have to either. Butts are very forgiving.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Exactly brownie.....cook at 300 and you're done in 10ish hours...easily done in a day so no messing with overnight...same results.
  • bertscampers
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.  I want it done for noon on Friday so I thought I would put it on tomorrow evening around 6.  If I feel it won't be done I can boast up the temp.  Thanks for the help.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    here is a little info on the differences between lower and higher temps with pork butts.
    Turbo Vs. Low n Slow Butt
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Yup, like they say if you go hotter than you can go faster.  I plan on my first turbo butt next week to take to my Fantasy Football Draft in SC
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Also if you need to speed things along, you can wrap in foil toward the end. It will speed up the stall, but.....
    Beware it will soften the bark.
    (You can unfoil and put back on grid to bark it up again).
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bertscampers
    Options
    Well, I decided to start it soon and take it off sometime tomorrow morning that way I can put it into the cooler and it will be ready for lunch.  How long should I wait to make sure the temperature it stable.  I was planning on lighting and then waiting about an hour to make sure the temp is stable then placing the meat on.  Is this a waste of time?
  • bertscampers
    Options
    Its on now and no turning back.  I noticed that it is suppose to rain tonight, will it affect the cook?  The top vent is open only a little and the bottom about 1/4 of an inch.

Thanks once again for the help.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    No BGE concerns with rain.  WRT to your comment about stable temperatures and "is this a waste of time"...my opinion and we all know what those are worth-for low&slows especially, stable temperature is the key to being able to walk away from the near-continuous monitoring (or you lay out the $$ for a controller) and know the cook will progress without major temperature variations.  Time to ensure you are stable saves lots of time down the road, at least for me.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bertscampers
    Options
    Thanks for the help.  I took the time to get a stable temp then put the meat on.  I have soccer practice for the wee ones and then a few drinks and enjoy.  Lunch tomorrow should be tasty. 

I have really enjoyed the playing around trying to figure it all out.  Some suggested I should have bought a pellet smoker since you set and walk away but I really enjoy learning, playing and trying to figure out how to make it perfect for my family's taste.

Cheers
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    You made the right choice-I looked at the Traeger's as well and have a friend who has both Traeger and BGE-his Traeger is turning to rust due to no use over several years.  Good that you like to understand how this thing works-as you can dial it in and walk away w/o a controller.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bertscampers
    Options
    4 hours in and the temp is holding steady at 265 dome temp.  Is this too high?  I want to dial in the temp so that I can go to bed in a few hours.

Cheers
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    That's perfect
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC