Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lack of smoke in lbge

Options
TTBannon
TTBannon Posts: 14
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing ribs today and I made sure to out wood chunks at different levels and made sure that I had enough air flow.

It smoked good and hard for about an hour at 270-280 and after an hour the smoke subsided and it was very lightly smoking.

What am I doing wrong? I want 2.5-3 hours of good smoke. Please need some tips.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you followed Stike's graphic of a cross section of the firebox with wood mixed in the column of lump roughly the size of the diameter of the bottom, you should be cool.  Even if you don't add any wood, you still get a smokey taste from the lump.

Smoke in a low-n-slow is most visible when you're cooking off the water in the wood or if the wood is green - you see water vapor (white steam) and more combustion particulates (grey).  Most of the tasty chemicals in smoke are nearly invisible.  So if ya can't see smoke, it don't mean there ain't none.  How'd it taste? 

Don't worry so much about how the smoke looks as much as how it smells.
    Options
    To answer question - I don't know if you did anything wrong.  If you want more smokey taste, add more wood.
    Options
    Pictures to follow