Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Lack of smoke in lbge

TTBannonTTBannon Posts: 14
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing ribs today and I made sure to out wood chunks at different levels and made sure that I had enough air flow.

It smoked good and hard for about an hour at 270-280 and after an hour the smoke subsided and it was very lightly smoking.

What am I doing wrong? I want 2.5-3 hours of good smoke. Please need some tips.

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 10,792
    If you followed Stike's graphic of a cross section of the firebox with wood mixed in the column of lump roughly the size of the diameter of the bottom, you should be cool.  Even if you don't add any wood, you still get a smokey taste from the lump.

Smoke in a low-n-slow is most visible when you're cooking off the water in the wood or if the wood is green - you see water vapor (white steam) and more combustion particulates (grey).  Most of the tasty chemicals in smoke are nearly invisible.  So if ya can't see smoke, it don't mean there ain't none.  How'd it taste? 

Don't worry so much about how the smoke looks as much as how it smells.

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 10,792
    To answer question - I don't know if you did anything wrong.  If you want more smokey taste, add more wood.