Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean burn temp

Options
Buckdodger
Buckdodger Posts: 957
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
been doing my clean burns at 500* dome for about an hr and using alum foil to scrape the inside of my LBGE afterwards. Have seen a couple of threads where the writer mentioned having flame coming out of the top of the dome. Have never seen that at 500*. Should I go longer or higher temp ? The inside of my egg is always pitch black and grease collects on the fire ring. Thanks guy's...and Gal's. 

Opelika, Alabama

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Let her rip as hot as it will go. No need to scrape anything if you open her up. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Opinions will vary.  When I do a burn out I get up to 1,000 before I begin controlling the heat.  I hold it at 800 as long as I can then when it is running out of fuel let it cool down wide open.

Always remember to toss in any grids or ceramics that need cleaning.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Opinions will vary.  When I do a burn out I get up to 1,000 before I begin controlling the heat.  I hold it at 800 as long as I can then when it is running out of fuel let it cool down wide open.

Good idea, throwing the other stuff in. 

Question - do you clean burn your pizza stone?  Instruction on mine said never to put it in during oven cleaning because of the risk of thermal shock breaking it.  I'm thinking it probably would be fine as long as I let it cool down with the lid closed, but then again, why clean it if it gets more non-stick with use.

Anything that's seasoned (steel, CI) will lose the seasoning - will get ashed off - over 800 F.
    Options
    @ Op-once you dial up the temp if you have the OEM gasket it will be toast-will end up there anyhow but the high temp will speed it along.  Once that happens if you remove the remains of the gasket and have a good dome to base seal (or you don't do many low&slows and the air leaks don't bother you) you can run commando-otherwise search for gasket replacement.  Part of BGE ownership.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options

Question - do you clean burn your pizza stone?  Instruction on mine said never to put it in during oven cleaning because of the risk of thermal shock breaking it.  I'm thinking it probably would be fine as long as I let it cool down with the lid closed, but then again, why clean it if it gets more non-stick with use.

Anything that's seasoned (steel, CI) will lose the seasoning - will get ashed off - over 800 F.
    Don't put the pizza stone in but have done my grids....thanks for the feedback all. Will run the temp up next clean.

Opelika, Alabama
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

I do all ceramics, including the pizza stone.  When it gets greasy and brown it is time to clean.  You won't get thermal shock if you put it in while the fire is building, only by putting a cold stone on a hot fire.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cool.  It's looking like a New York sidewalk.  I'll throw it in next time.  Thanks doc
    Options
    Cool.  It's looking like a New York sidewalk.  I'll throw it in next time.  Thanks doc
    Yuk.  My personal opinion is really dirty stones add a burnt flavor to the crust, even when you have not scorched it.