Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double decker cooking away!

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put the brisket on about 2 hours ago. Over it's head, held up by 2 firebricks, is an 8 lb shoulder which I put in about 2 hours before the brisket. Shoulder is showing 150 already, but I have a feeling it will be there for hours. Hope so! Don't know how it got there so fast. I'm not even sure if pork blade shoulder roast is the right cut! Never done one before! The brisket I'm pretty sure of. Done a ton of them. But this pork roast deal is a new thing. Will just leave it alone. I was hoping for 2 hrs/lb at least, but can't imagine it is going to take that long being at the temp it is now. We'll seeeeee.[p]Made that bourbon bbq sauce, except I don't have any bourbon so I used scotch. Kind of blinked a couple times at pouring a cup of Jura scotch, but it's for a good cause.[p]Will report back![p]mShark

Comments

• mollyshark
    Options
    It's 3:44 a.m. right now. Yes, for real. About a half hour ago, the guru beeped and I went to see what was up. The pork shoulder was sitting at 201. What happened to my 18 hour thought? But then again it is only a 6.5 shoulder, but I was STILL figuring on sleeping through the morning! Not to be. Around 1 hr/lb and that's the breaks. When I picked it up to stick in the pan, it pretty well fell apart so I knew it wasn't lying! Just finished shredding it and nibbling here and there. Ok, an early breakfast. Stuck the guru back into the brisket who is already sitting at 175 and guess I'll get back to sleep. Dunno why all my cooks turn out to be fast. My last 3 briskets were about 1 hr/lb like this one. Checked thermometers and all coming in correct at 225. Who knows. Yawn. Catch you in the morning! The real morning, not this insanity.[p]mShark

• Unknown
    Options
    Mollyshark,
    I am doing pretty much an identical cook as you. I am also having the same problem as you in that for some reason the meat cooked faster than anticipated. It is 6:00am now in Utah and I need the meat for a 6:00pm BBQ. [p]Based on the temps now, my brisket and butt will be done in a couple of hours. What do I do with them until 6:00pm? This happened to me a while back and I just let them sit on the egg at about 200 degrees for several hours after they were done and they turned out dry so I know this is not the thing to do. [p]Any ideas from you or others would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark

• mollyshark
    Options
    Mark Long,[p]Well I shredded the pork as soon as I got it off because it is so easy to do when real hot like that. Right now it is in a covered pan in my warming drawer, but I think I'll stick it in the refrigerator soon. Brisket still wrapped in foil and in a beach towel in the same drawer, but I'm going to let that sit for a few hours before I touch it. I don't think I'll be poisoned immediately. Wrapped like that it stays hot as hell for a good 3 hours or so. To keep as long as you do, you're going to HAVE to put it in the refrigerator and just warm it up. Hope you have the refrigerator room! Do shred the butt right away, though, so you don't have to fight it later![p]Will ponder on warming techniques since you probably don't have a warming drawer (I'm eccentric). Maybe someone here has some good "how to warm up without drying out" ideas.[p]mShark
  • Mark from Utah
    Options
    Mollyshark,
    I was afraid that I would have to refrigerate and then reheat. If I had a good reheating method that made it taste as fresh as possible and not dried out I would be happy. [p]I guess it is better to have this quandary than not have it done it time - which has happened to me also. The people we are having the BBQ with have never tasted anything like this and I was hoping to impress them. Thanks, Mark from Utah.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Mark:[p]I reheat "Q" in the oven with a glass pan with a little water in it.[p]Here is what I do: Boil some water and place it in a glass pan on the lowest rack in the oven. Use a large glass pan with enough water to adequately steam for the required time without going dry. A half-inch should do it. Turn the oven on to 450º or so and preheat the oven. The meat to be reheated is put in a glass pan covered with foil and placed on the top oven rack. Reduce the temperature to 325º and leave the oven closed until the food is warmed.[p]This could take about thirty minutes depending on the quantity of meat being reheated. Granted, this method takes a while, but for me it beats using the microwave!