Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mess'n with Traeger

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was in Costco this evening to get a few things, and happened to walk by a Traeger display/rep.  He stopped me and asked if I did any grilling or smoking. 

Me: both
T: Let me tell you about this grill/smoker.
M: I already have a lump burning kamado-style grill/smoker.
T: Let me pitch you anyway.
M: So, how hot can you get it?
T: How hot do you want?
M: 700F
T: ?Why would you want to go that hot?
M: To sear steaks.
T: Oh, I normally sear steaks at about 400F
M: I finish them at 400F.
M: That thing needsn electricity.  What happens if the power goes out?
T: Well, you light some candles and move to your gas grill.
T: And look, when you're done, you just cut the power, and it's off.
M: When I'm done, I just close the vents and let the fire burn out.

He then pulled out his phone and started showing me pics of some Traeger-cooked foods.  I pulled out my phone and showed him some food pics, and then a video of my LBGE during a clean out burn with flames shooting up through the top vent.  :)

The only things I can see that are +'s for the Traeger are lots of grill real estate and a temp control dial...but I'd hate to be locked into having to buy and cook using wood fuel pellets.

Comments

• Rebellab
    Rebellab Posts: 43
    We carry Traegers at work. I don't own one. My boss pulls the same nonsense on me. I send him pictures of high temp cooks (pizza, steak, etc).
    LBGE South Dakota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Well played-kind of you to not really kick him when he was clearly down :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Oh...and my parting comment to him was that it was too bad he was deep inside Costco and not setup at the entrance.  Otherwise, he could actually be cooking some food and letting people sample the Traeger-cooked food.  I told him they should rig up some sort of exhaust snorkel so he could fire the things up.
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    edited July 2012
    My brother has one and it makes great food. Pellet cost is higher then lump in the egg. After 3 years it was rusting out bad. To traegars credit they replaced it for him free on warranty. The new one is a lot lighter gauge then the original so we will see how long it lasts.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Well played

XLBGE 
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Traegers do a very good job of cooking and smoking. What they don't do well is sear.
    The only issue I have had with the product (and I have had 3 units now) is with their components. The temp probe and hot rods fail every year or two... thats just too soon for my liking. As far as rust... yes, they only started powder coating a few years ago, which helped those units. However, I have a little one that goes by the Junior model which is made overseas and that one started rusting right away. It is for these reasons that I decided to get an egg. 
    But as far as food taste... they are very good. Just getting tired of the constant maintenance.

XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    Eggdam said:

My brother has one and it makes great food. Pellet cost is higher then lump in the egg. After 3 years it was rusting out bad. To traegars credit they replaced it for him free on warranty. The new one is a lot lighter gauge then the original so we will see how long it lasts.

The lighter weight of the metal may sadly be a result of their move to Chinese production. Once or twice I have considered bringing them in to sell, but for now I am only selling the pellets until I can convince them to buy an Egg.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    My egg dealer also carries Memphis pellet grills. They are, IMHO, the best pellet grills on the market. They have a searing plate and will go up to 700 degrees. This would be my choice if I didn't want an egg. Although, the $4000 price tag may scare many away.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The lighter weight is probably more a result of some corporate pressure to reduce costs and increase profits.  The Chinese build to specifications, and they obviously have access to any gauge steel they want.
    They have a niche with the set-it-and-forget-it crowd. They work really great for sausages, but they can really dry out your food. I thought it was pretty cool, until I got an egg.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    My buddy's wife is not comfortable wither the egg. I suggested a pellet grill for them so she can set it and forget it. He can have many similar features to the egg without messing with lump. At the end of the day, it still isn't an egg but better than a gasser.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    I also talked to the costco rep but when he heard about my eggs he admitted they're better and he has one too :) 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    i have an electric smoker , (alton brown big brown egg). one thing is i never struggled like ive seen some here on the egg cooking items, even on the first go around. brisket, ribs, jerky , pastrami, butt all been done with little to no issues. just set and forget.
    thats the one thing the electric aspect has going for it, and my setup was $75 or so. its done me well that i only purchased a mini because i didnt need to upgrade those cooks, ill still use it.
    Seattle, WA
  • The lighter weight is probably more a result of some corporate pressure to reduce costs and increase profits.  The Chinese build to specifications, and they obviously have access to any gauge steel they want.
    +1  I think many times people rip on the Chinese, due to an inferior product but like you said, they are just following specifications.  I prefer to buy made in the USA but it is getter harder and harder to find!
  • The lighter weight is probably more a result of some corporate pressure to reduce costs and increase profits.  The Chinese build to specifications, and they obviously have access to any gauge steel they want.
    +1  I think many times people rip on the Chinese, due to an inferior product but like you said, they are just following specifications.  I prefer to buy made in the USA but it is getter harder and harder to find!

Yea no kidding. I love my iPods, iPhone, iPad, iMac, MacBooks and all of my Apple gadgets; all of which were made in China. And all built to the exact specifications set forth in Cupertino CA.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47

Yea no kidding. I love my iPods, iPhone, iPad, iMac, MacBooks and all of my Apple gadgets; all of which were made in China. And all built to the exact specifications set forth in Cupertino CA.

I have worked for 2 major (as in most households in the USA and many around the world buy our stuff) consumer Goods companies. Every person on here would know of both. We manufacture and source globally (including the US). Wanna know where the best, most reliable product comes from? It's not even close and it's not all about price. I wish it were different too, but it's not.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

The lighter weight is probably more a result of some corporate pressure to reduce costs and increase profits.  The Chinese build to specifications, and they obviously have access to any gauge steel they want.

I have worked for 2 major (as in most households in the USA and many around the world buy our stuff) consumer Goods companies. Every person on here would know of both. We manufacture and source globally (including the US). Wanna know where the best, most reliable product comes from? It's not even close and it's not all about price. I wish it were different too, but it's not.
    The North Pole of course X_X
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    edited August 2012
    @JerkChicken Actually a lot of the individual components were made here in the US. If you have an iPhone the processor as well as the front and back glass are made in the US. I believe some of the other components are as well, but I can't say for sure which ones. I actually read a very interesting study recently that said only 2.9% of the average American's purchases are goods that originated outside of the US, and of those less than 2% were produced entirely in China. We only believe that everything we buy comes from china because our high dollar memorable purchases do.
    XL BGE
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited August 2012
    @JerkChicken Actually a lot of the individual components were made here in the US. If you have an iPhone the processor as well as the front and back glass are made in the US. I believe some of the other components are as well, but I can't say for sure which ones. I actually read a very interesting study recently that said only 2.9% of the average American's purchases are goods that originated outside of the US, and of those less than 2% were produced entirely in China. We only believe that everything we buy comes from china because our high dollar memorable purchases do.

That seems hard to believe, what study was this? Everything from canned peaches, clothing, car parts, frozen vegetables, pet food .... seems to come from China. We have made the decision not to buy any food from China but I know that it is futile since ingredients may still be sourced from there. One thing that does make it easier is that we actually cook from scratch most of our meals but some restaurant meals are nothing more than the platting of various premade frozen components. Gerhard
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    @njl lol boy did he pick the wrong person to make a pitch.
    You did give him a good idea on how to sell it though.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • chuff
    edited August 2012
    Okay @gerhardk here's the study I was referring to. It's not exactly a light read, but if you can get through it's interesting. You'll also note that 55 cents out of every dollar we spend on purely Chinese goods goes to US companies. Thanks for giving me a reason to go find this and read it again. I was mis-remembering a few things.

Edited to add: The study was done by the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
    XL BGE
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I think the numbers are skewed because of the inclusion of services, housing and transportation. I bet if calculated without those you end up closer to 30% Chinese origin.

Gerhard
  • chuff
    That's all broken down in the article and in the various tables. In some categories it is that high. In the clothing that they labeled "shoes/clothing" their number was 35.6% made in Chine vs. 29.4% made in USA.

XL BGE