Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cochinta Pibil Centex Style

13»

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Sounds like so much fun and quite the spectacle too!  
    It was fun. Too much fun. I've been dying all day though. As cap once said, I would have to rally to die. Everyone else is on ther 10th beer and the thought of lubricating the death machine again gives me the shakes. Im headed to the pool to see if I can keep a cocktail down. :-&
    Hair of the dog, brother. Its the best cure. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The work is done. The death machine has been lubricated. God help us all B-)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    We usually throw a bunch of rocks on the fire while it is raging and let those hold our heat when we bury it. Love the package check in the picture of the meat once it was buried.
  • Sounds like so much fun and quite the spectacle too!  
    It was fun. Too much fun. I've been dying all day though. As cap once said, I would have to rally to die. Everyone else is on ther 10th beer and the thought of lubricating the death machine again gives me the shakes. Im headed to the pool to see if I can keep a cocktail down. :-&
    Oh No!  I am getting ready for one of those weekends myself!  Bringing some butts, but would love to see a beach before next spring.  I don't think it is in the cards for me!
  • The work is done. The death machine has been lubricated. God help us all B-)
    Oh good, you rallied!  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    Now that is an adventure worth repeating-not sure about the bourbon.  Strike while the pit is still there and have another day of fun.  Sunk costs are just that so, more lump, a couple of hunks of piggy, couple of bottles of bourbon, banana leaves-great setting and time for refinement.  How bad could you feel :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:

Now that is an adventure worth repeating-not sure about the bourbon.  Strike while the pit is still there and have another day of fun.  Sunk costs are just that so, more lump, a couple of hunks of piggy, couple of bottles of bourbon, banana leaves-great setting and time for refinement.  How bad could you feel :)>-

I knew I could count on you, cap. I finally got my ass out of bed and choked down a few drinks. I actually felt better almost immediately. Didn't manage to do another Pibil. It it was a fun effort on the original. Was looking for a way to incorporate a Swing Rack into the process So I could get my view count up to 60 Million but I was "impaired". :)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    first ya gotta post that you got your tracking number for the swing rack....
    :))
    Somehow I missed this thread. L-)

Awesome cook Cen-Tex! You'll it perfect next time, I'm sure.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Somehow I missed this thread. L-) Awesome cook Cen-Tex! You'll it perfect next time, I'm sure.

Thanks Caz- it was really fun and now that I know what the hell I'm doing, I'll nail it next time. It's not that hard but i've never done anything like it before. next time...the pig is mine.
  • "Pig gets more slippery when it's fogged in alcohol... Ask me how I know! On second thought, don't "

is this another KY/Pig thread? I'm not judging, just want to know what I'm dealing with here 
    :))
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    CT:

I think the mistake was not the OH, but the fact that you did not use the bricks on the bottom or on top. Next time try to seal the whole thing with the bricks and then cover with sand. 

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Nice work Cen-Tex.  Hell of an effort.  Thank you for taking us along for the ride!  

Well I woke up Sunday morning,
    With no way to hold my head that didn't hurt.
    And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad,
    So I had one more for dessert.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • I think im missing the point. Whats the point of buring a pig in sand and cooking it? Thats like j. Edgar in a dress, i just don't get it
    Well, I didn't have an egg or anything else to cook with so I decided to go for it. It's a cool thing to know how to do and if I'm ever trapped in a tropical climate with pigs and shovels around, I'm eating dinner that night.
  • Nice work Cen-Tex.   @#!*% of an effort.  Thank you for taking us along for the ride!  

Well I woke up Sunday morning,
    With no way to hold my head that didn't hurt.
    And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad,
    So I had one more for dessert.

Great song and so very true.....and I haven't stopped yet and I'm flying out o Vegas for 4 nights tomorrow am. I am going to need a transplant if this keeps up
  • CT:

I think the mistake was not the OH, but the fact that you did not use the bricks on the bottom or on top. Next time try to seal the whole thing with the bricks and then cover with sand. 

Felipe
    There were bricks on the bottom and all sides. Just not the top. I watched all kinds of videos and researched and nobody bricked up the top. I think the sheet metal and sand insulate the top pretty well- we could walk on top of it once it was sealed up.