Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cochinta Pibil Centex Style

Comments

• BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    Big Brown Sandbox?  :) Looks like fun. Hope all goes well. If not you can take a snorkel for your inlet, and your daisy wheel for exhaust to control your temp.  :)>-
  • just woke up from a "nap". I guess an hour or so to go before digging the pig parts up out of the ground.
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • RubmyrockRubmyrock Posts: 266
    Beach, boos, and BBQ!!! I'm jealous and hope the Gulf of Mexico high tide devours your Mayan feast. Lol
  • lakewadelakewade Posts: 382
    just woke up from a "nap". I guess an hour or so to go before digging the pig parts up out of the ground.
    Can't wait to see the results.  Good luck!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lakewade said:

just woke up from a "nap". I guess an hour or so to go before digging the pig parts up out of the ground.

Can't wait to see the results.  Good luck!
    Thanks buddy. I'll let
    You know. Should be soon. Were you serious about the weather? To drunk to check.
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
    Were you serious about the weather? To drunk to check.
    I was, but the forecast changed.  You should be good to sleep on the beach tonight.  No need to crash in the back of the suburban with the windows rolled up this time.

-----------
  • EllisEllis Posts: 195
    Rich_ie do you mean Calif. ?

• lakewade said:

Were you serious about the weather? To drunk to check.

I was, but the forecast changed.  You should be good to sleep on the beach tonight.  No need to crash in the back of the suburban with the windows rolled up this time.

10-4.
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Things have progressed.
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    Awesome! Love it!!
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Well you have me watching. This has got to be a total riot to do. Keep the info and pics coming.
    Large, small, and a mini
    Things have progressed.
    Almost the same anticipation level as when Geraldo Rivera was about to open Al Capone’s vault.

-----------
    Not sure if anyone has asked, but are you cooking to temp or guessing.
  • Rubmyrock said:

Not sure if anyone has asked, but are you cooking to temp or guessing.

Total guesswork
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 604
    edited August 2012
    This is awesome cen-tex!
  • Uh, are you leaving us hanging? How did it turn out? My mouth is salivating and it is 2am!
  • What a great post C-T. Can't wait to see the final pictures. Pibil is one of my favorites.
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited August 2012
    Me thinks we wont see the pics (if taken) until noon. :D
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 604
    it looks like lord of the flies on up on that beach!
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,602
    What an undertaking! Hope it came out good.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tazcrash said:

:D
    Just woke up. Hurtin. Will update post here in a bit.
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • Ok.- all's well that ends well but we had to finish the pig in the oven. We let the coals burn down too much I guess but it was hot when we dug it out- just not pulling apart. We finished it off and destroyed it @ 1am with a handle of Bourbon. The whole thing was a blast and I may do another one tonight just to get it right. Might need to drink a bit less........tomorrow.
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited August 2012
    :D Just woke up. Hurtin. Will update post here in a bit.
    11:51, post...Not bad.
    =))

Glad it ended well even if it was in an oven. It looked\sounded like it was a blast. How long was it in there? How did you know coals were out?  
    Remember to replenish your fluids during the day....WITH WATER\Gatorade\Powerade!!!!! 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Think we were about to start a bail out fund and come looking for you. Looks like a blast!
    Lynnwood WA
  • chuffchuff Posts: 255
    Think maybe the sand just wasn't as good at holding the heat as denser dirt would have been?
    XL BGE
  • chuff said:

Think maybe the sand just wasn't as good at holding the heat as denser dirt would have been?

I'm Pretty sure it would have worked of I had put in the pork when the lump bed was still hotter. I let it burn down too much. lots of fun though. People were stopping g by from all over the beach to check it out. I'll definitely do it again.
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • Sounds like so much fun and quite the spectacle too!  
  • chuffchuff Posts: 255
    Regardless I'm extremely jealous. I'd be digging a pit in my back yard right now if digging a 16" hole in Vegas didn't require a jack hammer and hours of prison style "little rocks from big rocks" hard labor.
    XL BGE
  • chuff said:

Regardless I'm extremely jealous. I'd be digging a pit in my back yard right now if digging a 16" hole in Vegas didn't require a jack hammer and hours of prison style "little rocks from big rocks" hard labor.

Yeah, Austin would be about the same. The beach sure made it easier but you just can't help but to get sand in everything down there. As careful as we were, there was still some sand that got in. We brushed it off and It was fine but it was still there on a few bites. The whiskey helped too :D
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • Sounds like so much fun and quite the spectacle too!  

It was fun. Too much fun. I've been dying all day though. As cap once said, I would have to rally to die. Everyone else is on ther 10th beer and the thought of lubricating the death machine again gives me the shakes. Im headed to the pool to see if I can keep a cocktail down. :-&
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE