Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cochinta Pibil Centex Style

The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,712
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok. The pig has been marinated, the fire has been lit, the vodka has been flowing freely for days. As @lakewade mentioned of the othe thread: what could possibly go wrong :)
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,901
    At least you have an endless supply of water if your fire goes sideways.  Should be quite the ride-enjoy :)
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    I so can't wait to follow how this goes. 
    That pit reminds me of the Luau pig we had in Maui

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • BTW- I got the recipe from the Rick Bayless website. I took his Cochinita recipe and built the pit and planned the cook from his "pig in a pit" recipe. The rest, I made up all by myself.

• The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,712
    edited August 2012
    If you are going to bury a pig, i guess this is a pretty good spot to do it.

• The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,712
    edited August 2012
    40 lbs of best of the west's finest.

• 2 bloody Mary's, 2 beers, a redbull, and a raging fire. It's 1pm. So far, so good.

• Fire is over 1000 degrees. Can't even park next to it. Have to let the lump settle for at least an hour before putting it on. I probably should have probably had less to drink......but I'm no quitter :)

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,631
    How are you attempting to regulate the pit temp?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Lunch. Achiote marinated fajitas- achiote, sour orange, lime, salt, pepper.

My fancy ass beach grill for the fajitas (2 pavers, a $4 grate and some coals from the Cochinita pit)

• YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,555
    Is this being done at a public beach?  City ordinance, approval?
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,360
    Ya probably don't need any lump or wood down on the beaches down here.  Just rake up some tarballs from the Deepwater Horizon spill and light.

• YEMTrey said:

Is this being done at a public beach?  City ordinance, approval?

Dude- there is no approval from anybody. Not should there be :)

• *nor should there be

• Pig is in the ground: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• Pig is buried

• chuffchuff Posts: 255
    Pig is buried
    Hope you remembered to say a few words.
    XL BGE
  • lakewadelakewade Posts: 373
    This is awesome.  I am glued to the computer.  (All day every day anyway, not due to this.)

I see there is a colossal rainstorm headed for Port A.

Go get 'em!

-Lakewade

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Ya probably don't need any lump or wood down on the beaches down here.  Just rake up some tarballs from the Deepwater Horizon spill and light.

Like this?

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,862
    Lighting a fire on Florida beaches is a Capitol offense. You would be shot on sight.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • chuffchuff Posts: 255
    And that's only one of thousands of reasons why Florida sucks.
    XL BGE
  • Rich_ieRich_ie Posts: 268
    LOL You can't smoke anything on the beaches in Cali. Plus you have to be off the beach by 9 pm. Thanks to the gang bangers 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,360

Lighting a fire on Florida beaches is a Capitol offense. You would be shot on sight.
    Another good reason to build the fire in a hole in the ground and cover it up. 

"I'm super (*hic*) cerial, ossifer, I have no idea where that smoke's comin' from!"

• How ya keepin' the sand out of the meat???
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • lakewadelakewade Posts: 373
    2 bloody Mary's, 2 beers, a redbull, and a raging fire. It's 1pm. So far, so good.
    Did you run your Maverick under the sand to monitor temp?

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lakewade said:

2 bloody Mary's, 2 beers, a redbull, and a raging fire. It's 1pm. So far, so good.

Did you run your Maverick under the sand to monitor temp?
    Nope :)

Using the force.

• How ya keepin' the sand out of the meat???

We put a piece of corrugated metal over the fire and threw the sand on that.

• timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Is it dinner yet?
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.