Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork--oven first

flachick
flachick Posts: 40
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
When I got up this morning there was a note in my chair asking me to please make pulled pork for dinner. It was already after 7 and the butt was 6 lbs., so I knew time was going to be a problem. I  put the mustard and rub on it and threw it cold into a 300 degree oven and went about my normal morning routine. When I finally got it into the egg around 11:15, it was at 155 degrees. That should give us dinner at a reasonable hour. My question is, how much flavor do you suppose I've lost by roasting it in the oven first? I put apple and pecan chips in the lump, but am afraid the meat is past the point of absorbing the smoke. Is that right? I'm sure it will still be tasty, I'm just curious.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    You will get smoke adherence to the meat as long as there is a temperature difference between the meat surface and the smoke.  Smoke ring (appearance only...) goes away once the meat passes through around 140*F.  For future reference-search "turbo butt" as many cook the butt at around 325-350*F on the dome and see around 1-1.25hrs/# to the finish. I'm sure it will taste great-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • It'll be fine but will taste different. I've done oven butts and taste very different. Not bad just different. Most people say stops absorbing smoke ring smoke at 140. What lo said is money

XLBGE 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    meat doesn't absorb smoke

smoke lands on meat.  and it doesn't care when. end of cook, middle, beginning.

you just won't have much of a smoke ring is all.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • flachick
    Thank you three. I don't really care about the smoke ring since I'm going to pull it. Just want the bark and juicy goodness. It's currently right on target at 185 and smells divine.
  • flachick
    Well, it must have hit another stall at 185, because it didn't move but a degree or so after my last post. I finally brought it inside to finish in the oven, but it fell apart when I was taking it off the BGE. Have any of you ever had a BB pull at 185, because this one did. Probably the best we've ever had off the egg. So odd.
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    meat doesn't absorb smoke

smoke lands on meat.  and it doesn't care when. end of cook, middle, beginning.

you just won't have much of a smoke ring is all.
    I agree. The very best barbecue I ever had was made in a brick pit by some old men out in the country. They cooked a whole ham (I mean a whole hog leg - man, it was big) overnight. They started smoking it about an hour before serving time with green hickory limbs (with green leaves) that they cut fresh off a tree. I thought there was no way that was going to work, but they proved me wrong.

Tim
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    @ flachick-I have seen the stall/slow climb through the 180's with butts however, have not had one pull that early-another reason to cook to temp and not time.  Glad it was a winner!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.