Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Lodge cast iron pizza pan

burntbrisketburntbrisket Posts: 22
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

I heard a program on NPR yesterday about a new Lodge cast iron pizza pan.  America's Test Kitchen gave it great reviews

Has anyone tried it out?  Obviously cast iron has great heat retention qualities and the review said it heats up in about half the time of the traditional pizza stone. 

Comments

• smokeyjsmokeyj Posts: 185

I don't have a lodge cast iron pizza pan but I use a rectangular griddle for  pizza pan I love it. I will be buying some rond cast iron pizza pans soon.

• DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    I have one and it is great.  I have a traditional pizza stone and a BGE pizza pan with holes in the bottom and my wife always wants the pizza done it the cast iron pan.

No need to preheat.  Just make your pizza right in the pan (after oiling with olive oil), put it on a raised grid with platesetter legs up.  At 550-600 it will take about 10-12 minutes.

The pan is a 14' diameter pan.
  • https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?idProduct=3984
     This looks cool! I may have to pick one up for pizzas! Walmart online has it for $34
  • Mthomp13Mthomp13 Posts: 24
    I have the pizza pan also and it works great.
  • I have a medium BGE so the max width I can do is 15 1/2". Specs say it's a 14" pan, can anyone tell me how far the handles stick out???
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Those of you that have cooked on a pizza stone and on the cast iron.

Do you find any difference in the crust or how the pizza turns out?

• AviatorAviator Posts: 1,428
    I want and am looking for a CI Pizza pan that is 16". To be used in a LBGE.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

• GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,225
    I have Mario Batali red pizza pan (cast iron) from Crate and Barrel 18 1/2 inches with handles. I can't figure out how to post the picture - sorry. I have used it for pizza, blackening, French toast, pancakes, and bread. I also have a pizza stone but for the money I get more use out of the pan and don't see a whole lot of difference.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • RandallBRandallB Posts: 67
    I broke my second baking stone on pizza (high heat) , so I am interested in the cast iron.    I would think it would hold heat more (run hotter) than the stone.   But, from other comments it doesn't sound like it.
  • I have one and it is great.  I have a traditional pizza stone and a BGE pizza pan with holes in the bottom and my wife always wants the pizza done it the cast iron pan.

No need to preheat.  Just make your pizza right in the pan (after oiling with olive oil), put it on a raised grid with platesetter legs up.  At 550-600 it will take about 10-12 minutes.

Could you measure yours including the handles? Thanks!!!
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 90
    edited August 2012
    I am always interested to hear how people store their CI pans to avoid rusting when used infrequently.  How do you do it?
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 10,742
    I always coat in oil after cleaning, then dry on the range, and store indoors.

• DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    I have one and it is great.  I have a traditional pizza stone and a BGE pizza pan with holes in the bottom and my wife always wants the pizza done it the cast iron pan.

@Cymbaline65 Just measured Lodge pan tip to tip of handles 18 3/8   I use it in my LBGE.
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 5,287
    I broke my second baking stone on pizza (high heat) , so I am interested in the cast iron.    I would think it would hold heat more (run hotter) than the stone.   But, from other comments it doesn't sound like it.
    Don't think it is that CI runs hotter than stone, I mean 600F is 600F in a stabilized egg. The benefit, or fault, depends on your perspective, is that CI will heat faster. As noted, some folks build the pie in the cool pan and just set it in the egg. You can't get ideal results doing that with a stone. If you are doing multiple pies, a stone is great, simple cooling wipe between pies.  
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • I have one and it is great.  I have a traditional pizza stone and a BGE pizza pan with holes in the bottom and my wife always wants the pizza done it the cast iron pan.

@Cymbaline65 Just measured Lodge pan tip to tip of handles 18 3/8   I use it in my LBGE.
    Ah bummer...thanks for doing that thought!!
  • I meant to say "though"