Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chopped, is it relevant?

Options
Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Every Sunday night Wife records Chopped Grill Masters. Lots of artificial limitations. Entertaining but not particularly helpful. Tonight everyone raved about grilled watermelon. There it was with grill marks! Wife is always bringing home every sort of melon from supermarkets and Asian stores. A few slices get eaten and next morning it goes through the juicer. I suggested dusting the melons with a couple of things like cinnamon, paprika and sea salt and she started pulling out molasses, honey and other stuff. Maybe we’ll experiment before putting the “real” food on until we get a keeper.
My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Overall, no, not really relevant. Why would anybody want to eat ribs or pork butt that has only been cooked for 20 or 30 minutes?
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • the_alchemist83
    Options
    I watched this last night with my wife.  I was amazed at the "cooking" they were doing without closing the lid on their charcoal grill.  I can't imagine the majority of the food really tasted all that well, the majority of their meats they cook were really rare.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good medium rare piece of meat but I don't know that theirs were really edible.  I don't think it's really relevant considering with bbq the emphasis really seems to be low & slow.
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Options
    Surprised the chuck wagon cowboy admitted to never cooking a pork butt.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    The biggest problem with all these competitive cooking shows is that they want tension, drama, conflict etc. to add interest or excitement to the show but it really has little to do with cooking.  They rarely give them enough time to do a good job and sometimes it seems that some of the equipment has been purposely sabotaged all for the sake drama.  The judges often have really crazy or unrealistic critiques.

Gerhard
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Options
    Mystery baskets filled with tofu and speculoos have about as much relevancy to BBQ as teats have to a boar hog.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Coconut milk, almost any fruit dipped in coconut milk, dusted with sugar and cinnamon is great. The thicker the milk the better, there is also a coconut cream sold in cans...

Great desert, although the grid clean-up can be a bit of a chore....

Sorry, never seen the show you are talking about, but the grilled mellon made me think about using coconut milk....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Options
    No, not relevant to this backyard cook.   I killed the Season Pass to it after the 3rd episode when it became apparent that I'd not benefit from watching it and found many of the contestants unlikable.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Like most reality shows, it is for entertainment not education.  I am getting so sick of this latest form of concept program format that usually about two episodes and I am done with them.  In most cases, they should be labeled as fantasy shows, not reality.  A true reflection on the dumbing down of America.  Give me Grilling with Bobby Flay or Alton Brown's Good Eats any time.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Grilled watermelon is really good but you have to chill it afterwards to let it harden back up. My fiancee and I did a grilled fruit salad once with several fruits in it and it was really good.