Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cyber Q Wifi Advice

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,727
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just mailed back the Party Q and payed for the Cyber Q Wifi.  Im looking for advice(could just be related to Temp controllers) As far as dampers and all that fun stuff. Im coming from a all inclusive unit that you dont have to worry about the fan or how much "air" is getting through. So any advice is helpful.

Also any advice on how to set up the Cyber Q in infrustructure mode..

Thanks
·

Comments

• dlk7dlk7 Posts: 997
    DaveM has a thread showing it hooked to his home theater and the person at BBQ Guru he worked with to get it up and running.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • Sweet, Do you have a link or an idea of how to find it?
    ·
  • .. Found it. Anyone else have advice
    ·
  • Can u post that link?

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • DaveMDaveM Posts: 90
    Dlk7, ill follow up tomorrow with my setup. I have the notes on my computer..
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
    ·
  • Fantastic. I got it specifically for infrastructure.. So hopefully i can figure that out
    ·
  • Fantastic. I got it specifically for infrastructure.. So hopefully i can figure that out
    ·
  • Any advice or tricks to use the cyber q in the rain? I just have a nest and an open deck.
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,722
    Any advice or tricks to use the cyber q in the rain? I just have a nest and an open deck.
    1.) Zip lock bag over the main unit.
    2.) I also have a small round tupperware that I cut a hole in the bottom to cover the fan unit in the rain and snow storms.

Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • What about the outlet connection to the extension cable?
    ·
  • Also theres not an alarm that can be set on the phone when the food is to temp right? I have a maverick and i was hoping this would replace that. But im starting to think. No
    ·
    Hi,

Some tips on using CyberQ...  First, make sure you have the latest firmware.  Mine came with 0.8, but I upgraded to 1.1.  Much better!  I used a Mac, so it was easy (everything is!) as I just used tftp to upload the files.

I use my CyberQ in infrastructure mode.  To do this, I first connected my iPad (or iPhone) to the WiFi that the CyberQ has.  Then, go under WiFi settings and change it to connect to your home wifi.  Be very careful to not make typos and to make 100% sure you are on the same security protocol as your wifi.

Then, I setup the email alerts.  You need an email that doesn't require SSL (most do).  I used gmx.com and created a new account just for this.

Under the email setup on the CyberQ, I use:

hostname: mail.gmx.com
    port: 587
    your username and pword from gmx.com
    recippient (I use my normal home email address at gmail)

That worked for me.  If it doesn't, try the other ports suggested in the troubleshooting guide found on thebbqguru's website.

Good luck!

--Dave
    ·
    For waterproofing, I put everything into a plastic shopping bag, then placed that under a tupperware container.  I don't have an outlet near my egg (yet), so I put the end of the extension cord and power adapter into the bag as well.  No need to lose $300 in the rain.

·
  • GoatseggGoatsegg Posts: 108
    Any advice on start up for the CyberQ? I always clean out the egg before a long cook to make sure Ive got good airflow. I use map torch to get the fire started and then get the CQ hooked up. Once it's powered up, the fan runs at 100% until temp and there is a fair bit of smoke. I'm thinking it would be better to let the temp stabilize and then power up the fan. (Food probes and pit sensor in place) Does this make sense? Is it better to start with the fan on? Wait for temp to come up and then set the butts? 

Any advice is appreciated.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

·
  • StlScottStlScott Posts: 77

Adding on to @DaveM... ; Not sure if this would help, but you can also set the email alerts to send a text message to your cellphone.  I believe the major carriers all do this.

Here's an example as to how to set this up on AT&T's network:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB63037&cv=820#fbid=dPil2PHeOb4

To send a text, picture, or video message to an AT&T wireless device from your email:

• Text message: Address your email to the recipient's 10-digit wireless phone number, followed by @txt.att.net, for example, 5551234567@txt.att.net.
    • Picture or video message: Address your email to the recipient's 10-digit wireless phone number, followed by @mms.att.net, for example, 5551234567@mms.att.net.
    • Don't include dashes or spaces in between the numbers.

Now - I don't own a Wifi CyberQ, but this should work.  Good luck!

StlScott

·
    @StlScott- Thanks for this, I have email working but am sending update every 10 minutes. This way, I can set alarms and have it wake me if something gets sideways.

One thing worth noting:  Gmail treats all messages from GMX as spam. I fooled with my settings for a while before i checked my spam filter and found a shitload of old messages.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

·
    For an overnight smoke, I also make sure it is cleaned.  I use a shop vac to suck the ash from all the airflow areas.  Then, I use the Elder Ward method to setup the fuel.  I light it in the dead center and allow the grill to heat up to around 200F before putting the fan in.  The fan just seems confused prior to this.

I gave up on GMX as they kept deleting my account for inactivity.  I just check it periodically.

Elder Ward method is here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm

Good luck and enjoy!
    ·
    Thanks,Dave. The fan seemed quite confused at low temp. I'll check out the Elder method, too. Thanks!
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

·
  • Yeah for any temp controller.. I get the temp up about 25-40 degrees above my target temp. Then put in plate setter and I put a probe attached to the grate.. .. Give it ten minutes and then attach and hook up the cyberq
    ·