Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deciding between XL or Lareg Egg

Tango2
Tango2 Posts: 34
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am very close to pulling the trigger on my first egg. I've used several different sizes of smokers/grills, and I'm really torn between the large and xl. Obviously the $ saved by buying the lg would be great, but I don't want to regret not having enough space later on. We have two little girls so parties/friends will be plentiful for several more years at a minimum.

I've read several other similar posts, and I noticed a couple mentioned not as many accessories were available for the xl as the lg, but from a quick search at bge, it looks like everything they offer would work for the xl, with the exception of maybe one thing.

Love to hear any inputs/suggestions.
NoVA

Comments

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    The XL will not let you down.  What is not offered for the XL the other sizes have???

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• makis
    makis Posts: 81
    I have a family of three so far and I went for the XL.

You can never have enough space and for something that will outlast me I thought it would be a good idea to think ahead.

• Think of it as something you will have for the rest of your life (since you probably will). Is it worth saving a couple hundred bucks? If it were my choice I would get the XL without questions. Regarding eggsessories, many of the most raved about are those that increase grid space. What does that tell you?
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @ OP-give the search function here a shot as this is a recurring topic.  If that doesn't yield much try google and include big green egg in the header.  At the end-of-the-day the great majority will land on the XL side-FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

+1

I cook for 3 (plus alot of neighbors!), and i wouldn't trade the XL for another size.  The only down side may be a little more charcoal use, but they have reducing rings for that.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    seeing you said first egg, i would be thinking 2 larges
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I bought a large mostly because of money saved off of xL and the wife was more egger to spend the couple hundred less. There are times I've wanted more room. Not often but it happens. I take my large places and couldn't have with the XL. Also I would rather do the two egg set up instead of xL I think. I've got a couple toys above a second egg on my list right now tho totally satisfied with my lbge. People told me and I ignored it but if you can afford xL get it. Did I ramble enough knowledge for ya.... Uh, I'd get xL unless u plan on a 2 egg system.

XLBGE 
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Go big or go home!
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • JOJayhawk
    JOJayhawk Posts: 27
    edited August 2012
    I was going thru the same process a year and a half ago. I went with the XL and have not regretted it once. I'm amazed that in the time that I've owned mine that when the XL vs Large question comes up that the answer now seems to weigh in favor of the XL. The answer that I always received was "we all have larges and can cook anything that we need."Their answers were correct, but always seemed to involve purchasing accessories that probably brought their cost up to near what they would have paid for an XL. Don't get me wrong the accessories are great to have and my wife now never has a problem getting a list from me of potential future presents for holidays. I like the XL because of the surface area. The ability to cook 6 or 8 slabs of ribs without cutting or curling them around the grill. What ever you choose will be right for you as long as you choose BGE
    Overland Park, Kansas
    XL
  • I was also in your same boat so I called my uncle that got started looking at eggs. His words were "get one size bigger than you think you need". I did and I now have the xl and I couldn't be happier. I'm sure you will be the same.
  • hrchdog
    hrchdog Posts: 40
    XL for my first egg and couldn't be happier. That is untill I get my second egg, which more than likely will be another XL.
    Herrin,IL.
  • the_alchemist83
    the_alchemist83 Posts: 84
    edited August 2012
    Have a large, occasionally wished I got the XL (but the feeling lasts for a few minutes), but more than anything I wish for a second egg for simultaneously having different temps.  So buy a large & a small.  Can have the space & additional temps.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I think when people say there are more egg-cessories for the large than the XL, they are referring to things made by companies other than BGE (Ceramic Grill Store, for one).

I think its interesting that when this question was asked on the old forum, everybody always said L and here its XL. I've never cooked on an XL, so I can't help ya there, except to say you can fit more than you would think on a large, especially with egg-cessories.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Two larges or one xl.

The xl is refered to as "the no regrets model"
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    The XL is awesome. When I decided I couldn't live without a second egg, I bought another XL because it was cheaper than buying a large and getting all new eggsessories.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I'm a new XL owner and couldn't be happier. I really appreciate having the extra grill space.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I bought a Large, to economize, and got the XL a month later.  The LBGE was not big enough for my veggie basket and meat.  I intended to (snort) sell the LBGE.  I still use them both almost every day.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• tenorman
    tenorman Posts: 23
    I bought a Large, to economize, and got the XL a month later.  The LBGE was not big enough for my veggie basket and meat.  I intended to (snort) sell the LBGE.  I still use them both almost every day.
    Doc, I'm looking at all that Royal Oak in the pic...is that a week's or a month's supply?  B-)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited August 2012
    That is about a two, maybe three, month supply.

It doesn't get any cheaper, nor does gas, so when I load up, I load up.  Besides it is hurricane season.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• XL  All the way

XL BGE Nested

Several Weber's

Chargriller TRIO

• chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    I struggled with the same thing. I went with the XL because I couldn't imagine ever saying to myself, "I sure wish this thing were smaller."
    XL BGE
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I too was in the same dilemma about 2.5 years ago.  Everyone (including the dealer?!) tried to convince me to get the large.  After much deliberation, I went with the XL.  Couldn't be happier.  I'm in the minority in that I have no desire for a second egg.  Not once have I felt the need for a another one.  The XL with the lump reducer creates 2 heat zones good enough to do hotter in the middle and cooler (indirect) around the outside.  Works perfect for me.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Tango2
    Tango2 Posts: 34
    Lots of replies in a short amount of time. Thanks! I had a feeling I was going to get more recommendations for the large than the xl, and since the xl seemed like the right thing to do, I was going to try and let you guys talk me into a large. Guess I don't have to worry about that anymore... :)

What about the top dome height? I've heard there is more height in a lg than xl??? Local dealer didn't have an xl assembled to compare to the large, so couldn't see for myself.
    NoVA
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I haven't had a chance to do a turkey yet, but there appears to be plenty of room. I have managed to cook 8 rack of ribs on the Adjustable Rack (three rows high) and that worked out fine. Just took a little longer to cook than normal. I think there is plenty of head room for virtually everything you would ever want to BBQ. I'm pretty sure the manufacturer says it will do two turkeys at one time. 
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Lots of replies in a short amount of time. Thanks! I had a feeling I was going to get more recommendations for the large than the xl, and since the xl seemed like the right thing to do, I was going to try and let you guys talk me into a large. Guess I don't have to worry about that anymore... :) What about the top dome height? I've heard there is more height in a lg than xl??? Local dealer didn't have an xl assembled to compare to the large, so couldn't see for myself.
    there used to be height issues in the xl, but they changed the dome design, the older ones were much flatter
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited August 2012
    I have never heard anyone with an XL wish they had bought a L because they had too much cooking area.  I have heard people that bought a L wish they had bought the XL.  If extra charcoal usage (minimal at most) is an issue, buy a reducer, but it will take a lot of time to save the price in coal used.  Yes there are a few less accessories for the XL, but they always seem to come out just a little later than for the L.  Of course some of the reason is that they are not as badly needed because of the larger cooking surface available on the XL.  When I talk to friends that are considering buying an Egg, I always tell them to figure out absolutely which one they need and then go up a size. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • I have 3 larges and a small and they are great except for a large whole packer brisket where I have to fold it over a rib rack in the beginning. I like being able to cook many different things at different temps and have all the accessories be interchangable. I was wondering if people would prefer this set up or and xl,large and a small?

KR

• Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    I'm not on a budget but got a large. I can cook four Boston butts on it. I didn't like the way the lid opens and closes on an xl. Feels like it is only half open. I love the large and will by another if i need more capacity
  • Egts
    Egts Posts: 27
    Get the xl, I can do 2 20# turkeys side by side. I did 2 12# briskets & 2 8# pork shoulders at once with ease. We have a family of 3. The place the xl shines over the large is when you have a small party and want to grill. The large just doesn't have the space. Sure you could grill in shifts, but how much fun its that when guests are over?
  • My choice is the XL My set up includes, platesetter, adjustable 3 tier rack from the Ceramic Grill Store, Stoker for pit control and wireless control from my iPad or iPhone I am only a meat cooker and do many butts, whole shoulders, briskets and ribs and other meats I sold my older XL and purchased a new XL with the higher dome and I love it