Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tried Tilapia Again

SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,271
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Always looking for low cal cooks so took another run at Tilapia, again at 350-400F dome raised direct no smoke. 

This time threw the Tilapia in a 'waffle pan' (?) that we use for small veggies on the grill. The problem with Tilapia, as with most fish, is that once cooked it breaks up easily rendering it a poor 'grill-mate'. Hence the waffle pan. Seven CostCo Tilapia filets spaced around in the waffle pan and each brushed with Italian dressing. 

Threw on some ABTs made of split Jalepenos with cream cheese, green onion, and some crab cake stuffing along with one large Portabello and some slice onion.

Everything cooked between 10-20 minutes. The fam loved it. I was able to transfer the Tilapia to a serving platter without too much breakage or flakage and may have been able to avoid any altogether had the waffle pan not been overfilled with overlaying filets.

The ABTs and grilled onion were super-enjoyed by my son and I with the mild fish. 

The wife loved the lo cal fish dish and the Portabello. 

It all went well with a couple of Coors Lights and a side green salad.

We live better than Kings did!
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,796
    Do you know what they feed those things?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,556
    edited August 2012
    What? We Egg Costco tilapia all the time.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,271
    Do I want to know?
    ·
  • Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704
    Wife loves Tilapia.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
    ·
  • No you don't want to know what tilapia eat.  Let's just say it is amazing that tilapia cost a premium over other non-poop eating fish.
    XL BGE
    ·
    No you don't. Let's just say I do t eat them.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,565
    I don't like either of you right now.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,565
    Ok...I'm better now. I like y'all again.

I will be checking to see where costco gets its tilapia from. Farm raised tilapia in the US should be poop free. Wild tilapia will feed on just about anything and tilapia from china should be avoided from my quick googlefoo.

With that said, you likely have several items in your kitchen travis that were grew from or fed on poop Travis.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
    POOP!
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776
     Farm raised tilapia in the US should be poop free. 
    I know there is a wastewater treatment plant in California that uses them in their process and then sells them for the public to consume. And you don't want to know about China and South America. I'll pass on tilapia.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • zosobao5150zosobao5150 Posts: 114
    edited August 2012
    Um...Dirty Jobs had an episode on them.  He was in the U.S. and they definitely helped clean up poo.  Personally, it tastes good, but I refuse to pay a premium for that fish.

Other animals, like chickens, eat some poo too, but it does take time to digest the concept.
    XL BGE
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776
    Does anybody know anything about swai? I've heard its just catfish from vietnam, thailand and other southeast asian countries.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,376
    Some people tell me that I'm full of it too !!! =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704
    Some people tell me that I'm full of it too !!! =))

=))
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
    ·
  • Griffin, I have eaten swai.  Delicious but I have no idea what they eat, (prob don't want to Know).  I think the fillets at the local grocery are farm raised and probably are fed protein pellits.
    ·
  • A2ZA2Z Posts: 99

For everyone who won't eat tilapia, please don't go to the midwest and look at what hogs eat and live in.  Might take pork off your list also. We won't talk about the hogs that they make pepperoni from. 

Too many people have no idea where their food comes from. 

:@)
    ·
  • galengalen Posts: 51

Tilapia!!  Come and get 'em.  Hundreds, maybe thousands by my dock daily.  The big barracuda love them and et them daily.  I was out cleaning them off the dock where they, in an attempt to get away from the big fish jumped out of the water and onto the dock.

Talapia and oysters thrive in the waters here, but, we do not partake of them. Some of our neighbors do eat them and they don't seem to suffer from the experience.  But I prefer Ono, Ahi and opakapaka

You may have guessed where we live and EGG

Aloha

·
  • DougQDougQ Posts: 30
    Cue Elton John music: "The circle of life..."

Somehow don't see Disney animating that.
    ·
  • twlangantwlangan Posts: 293
    Uh, guys - have you ever seen what pigs will do? Poop is what gives pork and tilapia its taste!  ;)

We LOVE tilapia off the Egg. I cook it at 300 deg indirect. 10 min and it's off. I use a wide, thin, metal spatula to apply and remove. I have had very little trouble with them falling apart. I coat with olive oil and sprinkle some Weber Zesty Lemon seasoning on both sides. Wonderful meal!
    ·
  • Rum_RunnerRum_Runner Posts: 17
    edited August 2012
    My friend used to call shrimp "roaches of the sea".  Also, most people eat the "sand vein" on top, which is the digestive tract (yes, poop)  of the shrimp.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,065
    Around here tilapia is the most affordable fish....?  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
    Poop is what gives pork it's tilapia flavor. BLAHAHAHAHA
    ·
  • A2ZA2Z Posts: 99
    edited August 2012
    Something has to give it flavor , Travis.  :)
    ·
  • I had a sand vein in my underwear the other day.  :)
    XL BGE
    ·
  • OutcastOutcast Posts: 112
    Might as well add catfish in the mix.  Mmmmmm, tasty bottom feeders. 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,825

Tilapia!!  Come and get 'em.  Hundreds, maybe thousands by my dock daily.  The big barracuda love them and et them daily.  I was out cleaning them off the dock where they, in an attempt to get away from the big fish jumped out of the water and onto the dock.

Talapia and oysters thrive in the waters here, but, we do not partake of them. Some of our neighbors do eat them and they don't seem to suffer from the experience.  But I prefer Ono, Ahi and opakapaka

You may have guessed where we live and EGG

Aloha

Tilapia are fresh water fish...I don't get it.

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,825
    Oh, and rabbits eat their poo - their soft poo.  Yum. Rabbit.  Stuff all get's digested into sugars, amino acids, fats and re-assembled as new cells, fats.  Rabbit flesh.

·
    Oh, we can't overlook 'real' sausage, made from intestinal casings......
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,376
    I had a sand vein in my underwear the other day.  :)

+1 =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • galengalen Posts: 51

Talipia flourish in fresh water, salt water as well as brackish water.

Since they do so well in any water environment they are considered as a staple in many areas of the world.  A very verstile fish...

Aloha

·