Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Modification, Probably not a big deal, but . . .

Options
scsilas
scsilas Posts: 11
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

Owned the large BGE for about a month, and loving it.

One thing that has bothered me, however, is the loose fit of the cast iron top and the ceramic damping lid.  Both seem to rotate too easily, and smoke escapes from underneath them no matter how I rotate them.

Now this is, admittedly, probably not a big performance issue, but it is an aesthetic distraction to me.

Solution?  Bought a felt gasket replacement kit (was about 12 bucks, I think) and trimmed it to fit around the top opening.

Both tops now fit snugly, won't rotate, and ZERO smoke escapes.

Photo to follow, but first a question:  have I inadvertantly done something negative to the BGE?  Just worrying about the longterm health of my new third child.

Comments

• scsilas
    scsilas Posts: 11
    Options

Or not.  No biggie.

/quietly leaves room

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    heh... seems many folks have viewed it, but nobody has taken it upon themselves to actually respond, so I will.

Anyway, no, nothing wrong.  In fact, many folks have applied gasketing & other material to that area to help keep the daisy wheel and/or rain cap from falling off during opening. 

If I'm not mistaken however, I think they've actually applied the material around the circumference of the neck, rather than along the perimeter of top, as you have done.  However, whatever works, works... :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    One thing that will happen is as time goes on you will get grease build up that may make installation and removal a little more snug.
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Options
    Worked great for me to finally control temps on my medium....
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I glued what was leftover from my Rutland gasket around the middle inside of my lids.  Been solid for more than a year.
    Packerland, Wisconsin