Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting the most out of my brisket with pics of course.

Options
Brownie
Brownie Posts: 1,023
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I started with a 13.5lb packer on tuesday. Trimmed the fat to 1/4". Cut the packer in half. The point/flat end weighed in 5.5lb. The flat end weighed in at 5.625. I cut 1.25lb off the flat, and trimmed the 4.5lb part to bare muscle. I was very surprised at the amount of fat trimmed from this.

Tuesday was brisket cheese burgers. I used the 1.25lb to grind.  600* raised direct. Quite tasty... Once the burgers were devoured,  I started to brine using the recipe shared by @setdahook (thanks it was great!). Then I food savered the point for a saturday morning smoke... A weeks worth of flipping the corned beef...
The Cen-Tex Smoker for recommending using a higher grid temp for low n slow. It sped my cook and left the meat more moist. Point finished a little after 1:00pm. FTC and left to see some relatives. (brisket was for friends later at my house). Got home and sliced the most tender brisket that ever touched my tongue! Friends never made it for brisket. (their loss) My wife and I each ate one sandwich...
 Sunday morning came and I woke up to find my brisket still on my counter. (Boo Hoo WAAHHHH!) Tossed my most tender brisket ever in the trash. (should have asked Momo first I guess).... Pulled out my corned beef and soaked for a hour in ice water. This thing smelled amazing from the foodsaver bag! Did a quick smoke with JD oak till 140. Foiled with a cup of apple juice and returned till 165* internal temp. It tasted great. After tasting the difference I don't think I'll buy them corned anymore.
It was a fun (and a little sad) journey! Thanks eggers for the tips to get me great results. Pic time!
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments