Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turkey Burgers

BotchBotch Posts: 2,965
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Made a Turkey Burger recipe from this month's [i]Cook's Illustrated[/i] today; their goal with this recipe is to make a turkey burger as moist and juicy as a beef burger.  They recommended grinding your own turkey thigh (which I did, a lot of work boning raw poultry), added a pinch of baking soda which raises the pH and makes the meat more tender, mushrooms ground in the food processor to add moisture and umami, soy sauce for seasoning and more umami, and a mixture of 1 Tbspn gelatin and 3 Tbspns chicken broth (I used water), which also locks in moisture.
Well, I grant you, they were [i]incredibly[/i] juicy, but didn't taste all that exciting.  For the second burger I ripped off Bobby Flay from this morning and added some sriracha mayo, [i]much[/i] better!  
They were a lot of work to make: boning raw turkey, five loads in the food processor, really sticky and hard to form into burgers, and the remnants stuck like glue to my bowl, cutting board, and food processor.  They even stuck to my CI grate, which I'd preheated to 550 F!  

The recipe made six burgers so I have two more meals in the freezer, but its a pretty fussy undertaking.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
·

Comments

• SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,271
    Definitely not EZ turkey burgers!
    ·
  • Funny you mention turkey burgers. I bought some 93% lean at Krogers today. 4oz patties with a little bit of chipotle rub and cooked to 165. Everybody loved them.
    XL BGE
    ·