Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket time

ArlingtonGrillArlingtonGrill Posts: 60
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought a 7 1/3 pound brisket and planning a low/slow cook. From what I've read it seems like a good dome temp is 225? Already have it rubbed down and in the fridge and will bring it to room temp before putting on the egg. Am I right that this should take 1.5 to 2 hrs per pound meaning I'm looking at between 11 and 14 hours? I've done several pork butts however this is my first brisket. I assume it stalls the same? Thanks for any advice.
·

Comments

• Do it at 300 dome 260-275 grid for about 1-1.25 he's per lb. read the "first brisket Journey" thread from JW Burns. It's all in there and he is eating his as we speak. Good luck an let us know if we can help

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,940
    edited August 2012

Below is a thread actively running today (8/11) titled First brisket Journey  that you should check-out.  (I cannot paste the link or I would). Bottom-line, dial that dome to around 290-300*F (+/-) and see the rest of the info.  Higher cook temp (within reason) gets you to the same finish-line wih less chance fo drying it out.  Based on the weight, I suspect you are wrestling with a flat-the window for home-run success is much tighter than with a packer but worth the journey.

Louisville
    ·
  • Thanks. Just saw those threads and will read. Appreciate the temp advice.
    ·
  • Thanks guys. Pulled it off at 197 after 9 hours. It was incredible. I held the temp between 280 and 300 throughout. Happy cooking.
    ·
  • newegg13newegg13 Posts: 231
    Thanks guys. Pulled it off at 197 after 9 hours. It was incredible. I held the temp between 280 and 300 throughout. Happy cooking.

Strong work. I'm glad it turned out well.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,747

Thanks guys. Pulled it off at 197 after 9 hours. It was incredible. I held the temp between 280 and 300 throughout. Happy cooking.

That's textbook. Glad it worked out.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·