Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini, High Que Grate, Brisket

Options
SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a little over 2 lb brisket @ the store today was actually happy how it looked once it was unwrapped. Stopped by to see if I could get some Wicked Good charcoal but dealer said he was out and will be for weeks... rumors of some back up with the wood supplies to wicked. Settled for Kroeger and the charcoal looks great, nice chunks my only comparison is BGE but this looks the exact same which others have said it is.

Set up for indirect, used a sample rub the dealer gave me for stopping by and started up the fire. Let it run for an hour and put on the meat. It has been a challenge to keep the dome just a hair under 300 degrees. I have everything opened @ the bare minimum. We will see how it turns out. Using the high que where as last cook of the butt I used the drain cover.

Apple Wood pellets in a foil puch for smoke, worked just fine last time. I am 1.5 hrs in and will let it go close to 3 before i pop in a thermometer.

Bare minimum openeing draft door.
Seattle, WA

Comments

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Suprised I have been stalled @ the 167 -170 range for past hour and half. I think I am going to pull and foil for the last 20 degrees or so.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    edited August 2012
    Options
    About an hour after the stall hit 194 and pulled the brisket. Let it rest for 30 minutes or so, overall would give it a 7-7.5 out of 10. It had some juices but could have had more and been even more tender. When briskets are this small no leftovers thats the only bummer. Will do it again and hopefully come out with better result. Did I pull too early or too late?
    Total cooktime was 5 hours, charcoal in mini made it about 7 hours, as I did 3 ears of corn afterward no problem. High Que grate worked fine, temp was running high the first few hours but did tone back down to 270 range, not sure it can get to 225 or 250 and hold.

Seattle, WA
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    A 7 out of 10 is a win. Briskets that small ate hard to keep moist.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Options
    and here I thought jamming two 7.5 pound pork shoulders into my medium was pushing it...you cooked a BRISKET in your mini.

nicely done sir.

I love my egg, but I can't wait to upgrade from medium to large sometime soon. Do you have another larger egg?
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Nice, job well done.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    very nice

Looking at that picture I was thinking if you could add another brisket on top of that, or fold a larger one in 2 and tie it.
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    High
    and here I thought jamming two 7.5 pound pork shoulders into my medium was pushing it...you cooked a BRISKET in your mini.

nicely done sir.

I love my egg, but I can't wait to upgrade from medium to large sometime soon. Do you have another larger egg?
    I didn't know what to really expect but family is now on board with the green egg and wife says no reason why a large with a table and mini next to it can't be done. In time that will happen but for now fun with the mini, I have a terracotta pot smoker (alton brown) for larger party cooks.
    Seattle, WA