Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When to rub a spatchcock?

Options
lensegg
lensegg Posts: 35
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi... if using EVOO and a rub on spatchcock chicken, when should they be applied - hours before cooking or when ready to start cooking?
Thanks,
Len

Comments

• Onegrecook
    Onegrecook Posts: 121
    Options
    I've cooked two now and they both turned out the same. I let them sit for 12 hours, uncovered in the refrigerator, then rubbed them right before going on the grill.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Rub just before hitting the heat. We prefer to cook indirect at a little higher temp (400-425F), still get crispy skin, but it is not too charred. Pre-cook have let sit for 12 hours or 12 minutes - did not really see a big difference. 
    A classic home made rub we use, if applied before the 12 hour fridge sit, and rubbed under the skin does impart a very distinct taste to the meat and is used once in a while. Generally, we prefer the juicy taste of the chicken with the skin flavoured by the rub, hence the rub just before cook.... 
    Using indirect, a drip pan on the setter with a splash of wine, water, beer or whatever is also nice alternative. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Further thought, tried this last week and was well received. No rub at all. EVOO and cook. For the last 10 minutes used Trilby's mild marion berry BBQ sauce. Got a bottle from my BGE dealer. It is made in Ferndale Wa, but your favourite is a good choice. 
    Nice change from the usual rubbed split bird.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    Options
    Are you serious? Wasnt Marrion Berry the DC mayor who rubbed everything including his hookers with coke and herion (and still got re-elected over and over)?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Killer comedy. >shrug emoticon<
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    I applied rub first and left in the fridge uncovered overnight. This was IMO my best Spatchcock to date. It was juicy, moist with crispy skin. I tend to enjoy more seasonings than less fwiw.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Are you serious? Wasnt Marrion Berry the DC mayor who rubbed everything including his hookers with coke and herion (and still got re-elected over and over)?
    True enough, he took his name from somewhere else I think, us folks out here in "Cascadia" (Oregon, Washington, British Columbia) prefer to rub our hookers and significant others with Oregon's greatest export, the Marion blackberry. Now if we could just do something about those permanently stained sheets.......
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options
    For the last one I did, I rubbed under the skin with herbs de providence and used my normal rub combo on the outside. Then let it sit for a couple hours in the fridge uncovered. It was probably my best yet. The herbs under the skin accent the meat rather than overpowering it.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    I figured the rodeo clown, Newegg13, would have jumped in on the Marion Berry jokes for sure...

I have had good success with rubbing under the skin right before grilling. I will use a toothpick if the skin wants to pull away from the bird to make sure the meat is covered by the skin during the cook though. Once the skin in separated to apply the rub it tends to want to pull away. We normally remove the skin (I know...) before we eat, so the rub adds a nice flavor to the meat.

XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR