Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

1st go at a spatchcock chicken

BullhalseyBullhalsey Posts: 73
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been reading alot on this forum about spatchcock chicken, and I had 2 yardbirds yesterday ready to beer butt 'em, but I decided I would give this method a go.....I gotta say, I'm sold on it....came out great.  Cooked them at 375-400,direct, on a raised grid, for about 45 to 50 minutes.  Added a small handful of apple wood chips.  Really liked them, thanks for all the suggestions.
·

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,686
    Like you I was in the beer can chix mode til I found spatchcock-so much easier, moister and tastier to me.  And saves half an elcheapo beer.  Gotta be the right choice.
    Louisville
    ·
  • Did spatchcock chicken this weekend for the first time. Can't imagine chicken on the grill any other way!
    ·
  • Am I seeing that you used wrapped potatoes to hold up your raised grid?  Nice Idea.  How did they turn out?

Tim

·
  • OnegrecookOnegrecook Posts: 121
    Those look great. What did you rub them with?
    ·
  • No, it was a raised grid, I had wrapped sweet potatoes under the grid, turned out great. The rub was out of the BGE cookbook for a beer butt chicken, little on the spicier side w/cayenne,chili powder,brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, I added a little cumin.
    ·
  • eggoeggo Posts: 421
    Looks like this was spatchcock weekend. I cooked up two five pound birds myself. I cooked these indirect at 400 dome, turned out great. I have also done them direct, good that way too.
    Eggo in N. MS
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,681
    Ahhhh the joy of the first spatchcock. Nothing like it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 479
    Soon you will be spatchcocking a turkey, and I can tell you that is delicious.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·
  • newegg13newegg13 Posts: 231
    I wouldn't mind a spatch turkey recipe. . .
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown.

Birmingham, AL
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 479
    It is really the same as for a chicken. Take out the back bone and flatten the bird, I have never brined a turkey that I have grilled. I have also stuffed a spatchcocked turkey by cooking the dressing and stuffing it under the skin, delicious. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·