Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

1st go at a spatchcock chicken

BullhalseyBullhalsey Posts: 75
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been reading alot on this forum about spatchcock chicken, and I had 2 yardbirds yesterday ready to beer butt 'em, but I decided I would give this method a go.....I gotta say, I'm sold on it....came out great.  Cooked them at 375-400,direct, on a raised grid, for about 45 to 50 minutes.  Added a small handful of apple wood chips.  Really liked them, thanks for all the suggestions.
·

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,647
    Like you I was in the beer can chix mode til I found spatchcock-so much easier, moister and tastier to me.  And saves half an elcheapo beer.  Gotta be the right choice.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • Did spatchcock chicken this weekend for the first time. Can't imagine chicken on the grill any other way!
    ·
  • Am I seeing that you used wrapped potatoes to hold up your raised grid?  Nice Idea.  How did they turn out?

Tim

·
  • OnegrecookOnegrecook Posts: 121
    Those look great. What did you rub them with?
    ·
  • No, it was a raised grid, I had wrapped sweet potatoes under the grid, turned out great. The rub was out of the BGE cookbook for a beer butt chicken, little on the spicier side w/cayenne,chili powder,brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, I added a little cumin.
    ·
  • eggoeggo Posts: 438
    Looks like this was spatchcock weekend. I cooked up two five pound birds myself. I cooked these indirect at 400 dome, turned out great. I have also done them direct, good that way too.
    Eggo in N. MS
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    Ahhhh the joy of the first spatchcock. Nothing like it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    Soon you will be spatchcocking a turkey, and I can tell you that is delicious.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·
  • newegg13newegg13 Posts: 231
    I wouldn't mind a spatch turkey recipe. . .
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    It is really the same as for a chicken. Take out the back bone and flatten the bird, I have never brined a turkey that I have grilled. I have also stuffed a spatchcocked turkey by cooking the dressing and stuffing it under the skin, delicious. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·