Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers for a change

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
One of the kids is visiting, so we fell off the wagon again.  Definitely not on the diet.  On the other hand, I had one.  In the old days it would would have been two, and maybe a half.  Overall we ate five between the three of us, so there are left overs.

In pic 1, note my homemade atomic dill pickles, put up in April 2011.  Lean store ground beef, raised grid, 450 for about 7 minutes a side.  French bread rolls from Publix.

Pics to follow.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Pics.

Doing a double burn out now on the XL and the Large.  Discussion and pics on that tomorrow.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    looks good Doc and i searched for your pickle recipe and found it gonna try this one my daughter and i love spicy stuff  
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited August 2012
    Options
    looks good Doc and i searched for your pickle recipe and found it gonna try this one my daughter and i love spicy stuff  
    Do a couple of small batches so you can tweak the brine to your taste.  They get stronger the longer they've been in the brine.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    @Doc_Eggerton check your inbox, just sent you a PM.  Thanks
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    Doc-
    The burgers look great but I need you to elaborate on these pickles.  Do you mind sharing the recipe?

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    OK, you will have to figure ingredient ratios for the container you use.

These are refrigerator pickles, not cooked, so they cannot sit out on a shelf.  These were done in a really big pickle jar I scrounged from the local deli.

3 cups water
    6 cups white vinegar
    4+ table spoons diced garlic
    2 table spoons mustard seed
    4 table spoons canning spice
    5 table spoons canning, kosher or sea salt
    Good dose of black pepper corns
    Several sprigs of dill from the garden

Heat the water, vinegar, and salt slowly just until the salt goes into solution.  It will not come out again, and you want the brine no hotter than it has to be.

Pack the cucumbers, and put the other spice on top.  Pour the brine in to cover everything.  Refrigerate for a month or so before trying.  My current batch are about 2 years old, and are really spicy and good.

Try this same thing with onions, you will love it.

• Hairless_Hand
    Options
    Many Thanks Doc!  Looking forward to trying this very soon.