Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Collar

Options
makis
makis Posts: 81
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Sunday and a 7 pound pork collar went in.

It will be for pulled pork tacos on my vacation.

I will post more as it goes

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    What's a collar? Higher up than the butt? Looks similar toma boston butt

Is it boneless?
    Never heard of it, but looks damn good
    Keep us posted
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • makis
    Options
    Collar is called in Greece the neck.

This piece can be found with or without bone. I have tried it w/o bone three times and it was great! Very tender meat. Now i wanted to see what the bone will add flavour wise to the cook.

8 hours into the cook. The meat has hit the plateaux and all i can do is wait for the temperature to rise...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cheek meat. It's the entire jowell but this does look like a butt. Never seen a whole cheek like this.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Cheek meat. It's the entire jowell but this does look like a butt. Never seen a whole cheek like this.

Guess it could be a butt cheek??? :)  I have no clue!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    Options
    whole cheek? i find the cheeks i can get are only about 2 to 3 pounds and teardrop shaped.
  • makis
    Options
    It is the muscle that holds the head. It is located above the butt not on the head....Very tasty meat!!
  • stike
    Options
    thanks makis.  i did a little googling after and found what you are talking about.  pretty interesting

• makis
    Options
    After 15 hours the meat was ready and it looked great.

2 in. smoke ring all around and very moist. For the last three hours of the cook I was spraying it with apple juice / apple cider vinegar every hour.

Very happy with the outcome. I am EGGstatic...