Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How long can I hold a picnic shoulder?

jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought a picnic shoulder because it was super cheap. I usually cook boston butts for pulled pork and find they take 2-2 1/4 hours per pound consistently at 220 grid temp.  I used this "rule of thumb" for the picnic and the thing is at 183 now(9:24 am).  If I double wrap in heavy foil and throw in some newspaper, will it hold until 3:30-4:00 pm?  Thanks.
·

Comments

• jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    ps.  I do plan on taking it to 195 before taking it off the egg.
    I bought a picnic shoulder because it was super cheap. I usually cook boston butts for pulled pork and find they take 2-2 1/4 hours per pound consistently at 220 grid temp.  I used this "rule of thumb" for the picnic and the thing is at 183 now(9:24 am).  If I double wrap in heavy foil and throw in some newspaper, will it hold until 3:30-4:00 pm?  Thanks.

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,707
    Short answer-you can easily hold for 4-6 hours.  You may see a very slow temp rise once you get into the mid 180's til the low/mid 190's-doesn't always happen but can.  Also you can wait til 200 or so before the foil, towel and cooler event.  You are in great shape-enjoy the end results.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,579
    Yes. I cook picnics more often that butts, and I have been surprised several times by early finishes.

I'd also suggest letting it go to 200F. When I have removed picnics between 195 - 205, double wrapped in foil and double towelled in a "cooler," I've had up to 160F after 5 hours. Fastest cool down was 140F after 4.

·
    Short answer-you can easily hold for 4-6 hours.  You may see a very slow temp rise once you get into the mid 180's til the low/mid 190's-doesn't always happen but can.  Also you can wait til 200 or so before the foil, towel and cooler event.  You are in great shape-enjoy the end results.
    I am currently at 189, so I have some time until I get to 200. The meat won't dry out at 200?
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,707
    You will be fine at 200-but given where you are now and your time-line you can certainly FTC at 195 if you are experienced with that.  That's the beauty of "Q"-whatever you find and enjoy-no set pattern or recipe.  It will be great regardless.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
    You will be fine at 200-but given where you are now and your time-line you can certainly FTC at 195 if you are experienced with that.  That's the beauty of "Q"-whatever you find and enjoy-no set pattern or recipe.  It will be great regardless.

I think I'll try letting it go to 200.  It'll give me a little extra time and something new to experience.  Thanks a bunch for the advice.  This is exactly why I like this forum so much.

·
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 575

I think I'll try letting it go to 200.  It'll give me a little extra time and something new to experience.  Thanks a bunch for the advice.  This is exactly why I like this forum so much.

Fwiw. I cooked one last weekend and pulled at 200 or 201. Foiled it and wrapped it up in a towel and put it in the cooler. When I pulled it 4 hours later it was still hot to touch and very moist. I I probably could of waited another hour plus if I needed to.
    ·