Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can I hold a picnic shoulder?

Options
jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought a picnic shoulder because it was super cheap. I usually cook boston butts for pulled pork and find they take 2-2 1/4 hours per pound consistently at 220 grid temp.  I used this "rule of thumb" for the picnic and the thing is at 183 now(9:24 am).  If I double wrap in heavy foil and throw in some newspaper, will it hold until 3:30-4:00 pm?  Thanks.

Comments

• jerryp
    Options
    ps.  I do plan on taking it to 195 before taking it off the egg.
    I bought a picnic shoulder because it was super cheap. I usually cook boston butts for pulled pork and find they take 2-2 1/4 hours per pound consistently at 220 grid temp.  I used this "rule of thumb" for the picnic and the thing is at 183 now(9:24 am).  If I double wrap in heavy foil and throw in some newspaper, will it hold until 3:30-4:00 pm?  Thanks.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Short answer-you can easily hold for 4-6 hours.  You may see a very slow temp rise once you get into the mid 180's til the low/mid 190's-doesn't always happen but can.  Also you can wait til 200 or so before the foil, towel and cooler event.  You are in great shape-enjoy the end results.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yes. I cook picnics more often that butts, and I have been surprised several times by early finishes.

I'd also suggest letting it go to 200F. When I have removed picnics between 195 - 205, double wrapped in foil and double towelled in a "cooler," I've had up to 160F after 5 hours. Fastest cool down was 140F after 4.

• jerryp
    Options
    Short answer-you can easily hold for 4-6 hours.  You may see a very slow temp rise once you get into the mid 180's til the low/mid 190's-doesn't always happen but can.  Also you can wait til 200 or so before the foil, towel and cooler event.  You are in great shape-enjoy the end results.
    I am currently at 189, so I have some time until I get to 200. The meat won't dry out at 200?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    You will be fine at 200-but given where you are now and your time-line you can certainly FTC at 195 if you are experienced with that.  That's the beauty of "Q"-whatever you find and enjoy-no set pattern or recipe.  It will be great regardless.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jerryp
    Options
    You will be fine at 200-but given where you are now and your time-line you can certainly FTC at 195 if you are experienced with that.  That's the beauty of "Q"-whatever you find and enjoy-no set pattern or recipe.  It will be great regardless.

I think I'll try letting it go to 200.  It'll give me a little extra time and something new to experience.  Thanks a bunch for the advice.  This is exactly why I like this forum so much.

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options

I think I'll try letting it go to 200.  It'll give me a little extra time and something new to experience.  Thanks a bunch for the advice.  This is exactly why I like this forum so much.

Fwiw. I cooked one last weekend and pulled at 200 or 201. Foiled it and wrapped it up in a towel and put it in the cooler. When I pulled it 4 hours later it was still hot to touch and very moist. I I probably could of waited another hour plus if I needed to.