Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt and Rubs?

Mole351
Mole351 Posts: 110
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Couple of butt/shoulder questions. Where can I buy a decent sized butt? The chain grocery stores around here (Kroger, farm fresh) only have small ones (6lbs) IF they have them at all. Could go to a butcher but would be pricey i think. Second - I've used dizzy dust for the butts I've done - looking for new rubs to try...suggestions?

Comments

• Mole351
    Mole351 Posts: 110
    I ask about the size because I always see people on here posting about 8-10lb buts it seems...
  • Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    @mole351 I get mine at SAMs club. They come in the cryo bags. The ones at my grocery store are normally small 4 to 6 lb range also.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    I really like Bad Byrons Butt Rub for pork butt. Its got a realy good flavor

Ive done 6-7lbs and ones over 10 and i dont see much difference other than the amout of time taking to cook them
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    As above, with butts the different sizes really don't have an impact on the ease of cook or flavor.  Mainly just time to finish.  I can usually find 6-9 # ones at the Kroger chain around Louisville, KY. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.