Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first egg table

Options
d_epler
d_epler Posts: 7
edited August 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Picked up a Lg BGE a month or so ago and LOVE it.

I looked around at all of the carts out there and loved the Challenger but can't spend $2500 on one right now (want the large) so I found the plans for the Grill Dome cart and it looked easy enough to build.

So I went to a sawmill in Land O Lakes, FL and picked up some Cypress, milled it to size at the wood hobby shop on the base I work at, and built the following table.

After putting the egg in it I realized that I could have attached the shelf an inch or two lower - if I ever pull the egg out I may move it down.
I also forgot that my lumber wasn't "std sized" so my 4x4's were closer to REAL 4" x 4" so when I went to put the lower shelf in it was too wide - OOPS!!
All-in-all I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out given how fast I built it!
Haven't cooked in it yet, but hope to do that tonite!!

Still need to mount the bracket for my Cyber-Q WiFi on it but it's pretty much done now!!

Dave

Comments

• d_epler
    edited August 2012
    Options
    OH, I forgot to mention - if anyone is in the market for a nest for a Large BGE  let me know - I'd probably let it go for $75 just to get it out of my way!!

Local pickup in Tampa Bay FL area - not gonna ship as it's too heavy

Hope posting this isn't against rules - too lazy to read them all LOL
    Thanks

Dave
    "eplerd " at Y@h00 .c0m 
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    looks great whats between the egg and paver looks like square stock for added air flow ?
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • d_epler
    Options
    Yup, that is 3/4" square aluminum stock put there in the hopes of reducing heat transfer between the egg bottom and the paver.

Eventually I may re-do the bottom shelf with fire-brick.

BTW, don't use the Lowes casters with a 3/8 threaded shaft - they tried to collapse on me.
    Off to see if Woodcraft has bigger better casters that use 4 bolts each...

• d_epler
    Options
    Found some 3" casters at Woodcraft that were on sale 4 for $25, and they were almost identical to the ones selling for $14 each!!

Table's back on wheels and off the blocks LOL
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Table looks great... but where's the bottle opener??  ;)
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • d_epler
    Options
    mcmac: My bottles either twist open (Tequila, Rum, etc) or need a corkscrew!!

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    I can relate... I too, need a corkscrew more than I use to. However, a lot of the craft beers I drink these days (at least here in the NW) require a bottle opener. I kind of like using the old school bottle openers again! Takes me back a few years if you know what I mean.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR