Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

New Egghead from Greece

makismakis Posts: 80
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I would like to take this opportunity and say hi to all Eggheads no matter where you are.

I live in a small city in Greece and I have been visiting the U.S on business since 2003.
In 2007 i wasin Huston and i tried for the first time real BBQ and it was the best thing I had ever eaten.

Five years after and a lot of research I decided to buys smoker. At the time i was looking at WSM because this was the only available in Greece.

In July, after reading many good things about the BGE I pulled the trigger on the XL. I have a family of three so far but you can never go too big on the egg.

With shipping it cost me $2000 but it was well worth it. It truly makes the same kind of food that I eat when I visit USA and I have been using it three to four times a week.
My very first butt came out perfect for pulled pork and I have cooked chicken,salmon, wings and stakes with perfect results every time.

I fried my gasket on my second cook (steaks) and been going without one ever since with no problems.

I will be posting regularly and any advice is welcome.

Keep smoking everyone and thank you for a great forum...

Makis
·

Comments

• Welcome and congrats on the new egg.
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,380
    Welcome aboard  Makis enjoy the egg its fantastic 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    Welcome aboard!
    ·
  • ccpoulin1ccpoulin1 Posts: 386
    It is a jorney i am just beginning, and loving it!  Welcome!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

·
  • BaysidebobBaysidebob Posts: 489

We do Lamb Gyros on the BGE.  Love them.  If you come up with any local recipes that are adapted to the BGE, pass them on.

Welcome aboard!

My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • gte1gte1 Posts: 376

Makis,

Welcome from a fellow Greek.  Both of my mother's parents were born there and came to the US in the late teens and early 20's.  As stated above sharing recipes for any Greek food you do on the egg would be greatly appriciated. 

Here's one for you.  For your rack of lamb, marinate or season to your taste (I use olive oil, fresh chopped rosemary, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon).  Roast at 450-500 indirect to desired temp.  One of my top 3 foods, in fact I think I'll pick up a couple of racks for the weekend.

Welcome again!

George

George
    ·
  • welcome!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,733

We do Lamb Gyros on the BGE.  Love them.  If you come up with any local recipes that are adapted to the BGE, pass them on.

Welcome aboard!

agreed! I love lamb!
    ·
  • Welcome!
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,112
    Stin iyia mas, with many good cooks ahead.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • scaryangelscaryangel Posts: 134
    Welcome
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 826
    Welcome! Let me chime in about sharing recipes; we get in a bit of a rut here. I love that the forum draws cooks from all over the world. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,661
    Welcome here, it is a ton of fun to prepare, cook, and share with the group. Pictures are appreciated too.  ;)
    ·
  • mm8552mm8552 Posts: 12
    Welcome!  I am a newbie, too.  I just got my egg a couple of months ago and use it 2-3 times a week.  Love it! 
    ·
  • makismakis Posts: 80
    It is a great way to enjoy food.

I will be going on vacation starting monday fora week and I am having serious thoughts on getting a small egg for next year so I can cook while away from home....Hooked or what??
    ·
  • Welcome!  You've inspired me to get a leg of lamb to roast tomorrow.  Always comes out great on the egg - olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh rosemary and garlic.
    Mamaroneck
    ·
  • setdahooksetdahook Posts: 108
    Welcome from the great state of South Dakota!
    ·
  • Hey Makis - welcome aboard - lovin the BGE here is Wisconsin - greek reciepes would be appreicated - from a fellow greek - doin my first pulled pork shoulder toda 

·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 988

Welcome from Tennessee.  Nice to have eggheads from around the world to enhance our cooks and experience.  Congrats on the new XL.  Did you get a plate setter with it?  If not do you have plans for a adjustable rig and Woo2?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·