Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Talk me straight, or at least sideways

Options
eggteeth
eggteeth Posts: 52
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm a newer egger, but I've noticed something.  The cooks i do, ribs and shoulder so far, that I never even open the egg (no wrapping, foil, spritzing, mopping) have by far turned out the best.  This beast hold in moisture so well.  Am I missing something or doing something wrong?  It can't be this easy, can it?

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    You will find several hundred different opinions on this.  You think it is good without?  Follow Car Wash Mike's ribs exactly and you will taste the difference.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    It is my friend. It is.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    You will find several hundred different opinions on this.  You think it is good without?  Follow Car Wash Mike's ribs exactly and you will taste the difference.
    And a differing opinion.  I think ribs are much better that are not foiled and "steamed".  Doesn't make either of us right or wrong, one of the great things about Q.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As mentioned above-all a matter of preference-but once I do the prep work, as soon as it goes on the BGE I'm a minimalist, much like you describe.  That's not to say there aren't  better ways but I put the effort into getting it ready, then time for the supervisory role and adult beverages.  That route can be quite a challenge with sustained low&slows. :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Daveh1976
    Options
    When it comes to shoulders, if your looking, it aint cooking.
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Options
    Hey, if you like it, then you aint doing it wrong.  Who cares what methods you use as long as the end product is to your liking. 

That being said, I love all the variations and ideas I see on the forum.  I like to try new things and so far I haven't been disappointed. 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    And a differing opinion.  I think ribs are much better that are not foiled and "steamed".  Doesn't make either of us right or wrong, one of the great things about Q.
    That's why I like car wash mike's recipe - very low 200 to 225 for the first 3 hours and no foil.  The apple juice and applecider vinegar mist every hour makes them awesome.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    It's gotten very hard to go out to eat at the local-yokel restaurants when for a quarter of the price and not too much effort you can make your own on the BGE that's ten times better!