Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

And We're Off! First Brisket on it's way

Options
BuckeyeBob
BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first BGE brisket today.  Couldn't find a packer so doing a CAB Flat.  Just under 6 pounds.  I rubbed this morning with a modified version of a rub I found on the Amazing Ribs site.  Consists of lots of black pepper, salt, sugar, and variety of spices and powders.  Here is the flat rubbed and ready to sit for a while.

I let it sit all morning and then about noon, got my fire up and running.  Cooking at 275 grate temp using a modified "Travis Method" similar to what hapster did on a recent cook.  For liquid, I am using a combination of beef broth, beer, and a red onion.  I am cooking on a rack above the liquid until it hits about 165 and then will put in the liquid until I can insert and remove a probe in the meat without any resistance.  Here is the meat when it first went on the Egg.

Its been on for about two hours and has already hit 130.  In addition, this is the first time I have used my new DigiQ DX2 and I love it.  Set it for 275 and it has been rock solid.  This will give me great comfort when I do overnight cooks.  

As always, I would never be able to do this without everyone's help.  Contrary to recent opinions, this is a great site to learn and have fun.  Thanks again. 

More pics to follow.

Buckeye Bob
Clarendon Hills, IL

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    If I ever did a flat, that is exactly how I would do it. I'm anxious to hear how it turns out. I hope it turns out well for you.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Sounds like the road to success-probably the best way to wrestle a flat to victory-will be awaiting the verdict.  Enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Here in central Texas, we suffer from the opposite problem. Whole packer briskets are sold everywhere. It's the flats that are hard to find.
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    After a little over 2 hours, meat hit 165 so I flipped to fat side down and put in the liquid.  Here are some more pics.

And my back patio smells AMAZING!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • WickedIsland
    Options
    Wish they had a smell app Looks really really good
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dude- this looks awesome. Can't wait to hear how this works out
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Great, let us know how it is after slicing!
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    All finished and it came out great.  Ended up taking about 5 hours although I did bump the temp a little at the end for timing purposes.  I pulled it when meat was about 190 but could have maybe gone a little longer.  Here is the finished product.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a plate pic but served it up with zucchini "boats" with cherry tomatoes, panko, and parmesan cheese along with some roasted potatoes.  It tasted wonderful and did not dry out at all. This method is the best way to do brisket when you are only doing a flat.   One more note on the cook, I used Apricot wood for the smoke, which I got from my neighbor when they cut down an old tree.  It gave a great flavor to the meat.

Again, thanks to all for their help on this cook.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Sweet. I'm glad it turned out well.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Wow that looks amazing

XLBGE 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks great and I like the idea of the apricot wood smoke. Got to find some neighbors with other fruit trees.