Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best BBQ restaurants you've been to.

eggteeth
eggteeth Posts: 52
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
My in-laws all live in the Kansas City area.  Jack Stax was good but in my opinion a little too fancy for que.  The best place I have ever been to for BBQ is Oklahoma Joe's in KC.  If your strictly talking sausage, then it would be Arthur Bryant's in KC.

Would love to hear others for my future travels, from the trusted taste of eggers.

Comments

• Valley Ranch BBQ in Houston, TX!!!! YUM!!!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    The Commissary in Germantown, TN
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    North Alabama has a ton of BBQ joints.  306 BBQ in Athens, AL is the best.  Then there is Whitt's that has really good stuff that has places all over North Alabama.

Big Bob Gibson's is the famous one in Decatur, AL, but I can't stand to eat it.  It's not very good at all, and most of the people I know don't like it very much.  Their sauce is outstanding though.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I can't tell you the name, don't remember it, but I can tell you a story.  I did a consulting job in Kansas City, for designing the security system for the New York Life building, which was being restored to be the headquarters of Utilicorp.  I guess BBQ is a big deal in Kansas City, because they had to take me out for it.  We went to a seedy party of town, and were served by sweaty men on a high school cafeteria line set up, with obviously used trays and cutlery.  The food was good, but I'm not an expert on BBQ.  What was interesting is the parking lot full of Rolls Royces, Jaguars, BMWs and so on.  This place was a dive, but apparently the IN dive.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489

I'm in Oakland, Ca.  We have lots of celebrated BBQ joints.  So far in my experience none, zip, nada are worth my time.  One came close until they toned down the heat and spice due to comments from woosy customers.  Another locally celebrated joint doesn't pull the silverskine from ribs and their sauce is so sweet it's sickening even though the sauce with their name on it in the supermarket is fine.  I'm totally disinchanted with restaurants.  Fortunately I have a BGE and my wife is a culinary addict.  We still go out for suchi, dim-sum, Ethiopian and Indian (North and South).  The Indian may be fading with the wok on the BGE.  Restaurants cook to make money.  They take a few shortcuts and make more money.  I cook to eat.  Bay-Bay cooks to eat.  Our next restaurant trip will be exploring shabu-shabu.  The closest place is inauthentic.  A few more and we'll have it down.  We already have the pot. Point being we can eat in restaurants and accept what they choose to give us or do it ourselves and see, feel and know every ounce of what we're eating.  BGE: pretty good hobby!

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Archibald's in Northport, AL (just outside of Tuscaloosa). Amazing sliced pork butt sandwich. 
    Greenhawk - I agree about Big Bob Gibson's. I went there recently with very high expectations and was thoroughly disappointed in the meat.
    In Memphis - Rendezvous and Central BBQ
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Sonnys BBQ chain.....I'm kidding of course.

The best BBQ I ever had was from Pettigrews gas station around Madison Ga.  It was on the paved road, just before we turned on to the dirt roads to get to our hunting camp.  I was probably 10-11 years old, and my dad would stop there before we went on.  The old guy behind the counter would sell BBQ pork sandwiches in wax paper to the hunters.  It was pulled pork with a vinegar and black pepper sauce on a cheap hamburger bun.  Simple but amazing. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Just wait til those who are living/experiencing the central Texas life weigh-in. No dog in this but will definitely file away the references for down-stream consumption. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BigC
    BigC Posts: 36
    Bodacious BBQ in Longview, TX. Incredible!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Sheopfs in Belton, tx.

Hands down the best in central Texas.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    For those not in the south, years ago Carson's in Chicago had great ribs.  Probably been 10 years since I ate there but still remember the ribs.  
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Bodacious BBQ in Longview, TX. Incredible!
    Never been to the one in Longview TX but I went to a Bdoacious BBQ in Mt Pleasant TX and it is one of the few places I remember after about 8 yrs and the Owner Bob was super pleasant, got the pleasure of going to his house and got to try his personal stash of Moonshine, a real southern Gentleman.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    There aren't any here in south Florida worth mentioning any more. All of the original locals like Blue Front and Tom's have been over run by local and national chains like Park Avenue and Sonny's or sports bars that for BBQ only serve 'ribs'. We used to make special trips to places like Blue Front and Tom's. They were a little expensive but they were the real deal. But they're gone now and we've had to 'settle' for the chains and used to like those places for the most part, mainly because we like BBQ even if it's average. Now though, after owning an Egg for almost a year, and learning some of the basics on this site we eat BBQ at home and go out for good sea food or something 'complicated' that we can't or don't have time to cook at home. 
  • I'll second Germantown Commisary for ribs.

Also, Railhead in Ft Worth sets the bar for briskets on my egg.  Happy when a brisket comes off the egg that's 80% as good as theirs.
    Mamaroneck
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Country Tavern - Kilgore, TX.  Best ribs, hands down!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Best BBQ joint.... :-? My backyard!!!!
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • There aren't any here in south Florida worth mentioning any more. All of the original locals like Blue Front and Tom's have been over run by local and national chains like Park Avenue and Sonny's or sports bars that for BBQ only serve 'ribs'. We used to make special trips to places like Blue Front and Tom's. They were a little expensive but they were the real deal. But they're gone now and we've had to 'settle' for the chains and used to like those places for the most part, mainly because we like BBQ even if it's average. Now though, after owning an Egg for almost a year, and learning some of the basics on this site we eat BBQ at home and go out for good sea food or something 'complicated' that we can't or don't have time to cook at home. 
    I agree with Steve. Now that I have a BGE I can make my own Q. I like to keep it simple anyway, just some mustard, rub, and vinegar/pepper sauce. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Same here. I haven't been to a BBQ restaurant by my own free will in 2 years. I live in Savannah now but I am from N. AL. Savannah has some decent places around but can't compare to N AL when it comes BBQ.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    In NC BBQ is pig and only pulled, chopped or sliced. Eastern BBQ is whole hog and western style is Boston butts For eastern my favorite is B's BBQ in greenville and for western style I still like Lexington BBQ (gotten a little too popular with tourists but it's still pretty good).
    Greensboro, NC
  • eggteeth
    eggteeth Posts: 52
    I can't tell you the name, don't remember it, but I can tell you a story.  I did a consulting job in Kansas City, for designing the security system for the New York Life building, which was being restored to be the headquarters of Utilicorp.  I guess BBQ is a big deal in Kansas City, because they had to take me out for it.  We went to a seedy party of town, and were served by sweaty men on a high school cafeteria line set up, with obviously used trays and cutlery.  The food was good, but I'm not an expert on BBQ.  What was interesting is the parking lot full of Rolls Royces, Jaguars, BMWs and so on.  This place was a dive, but apparently the IN dive.
    I'm guessing it was Gates.  That's the only place I've been to down there that fits the description you gave.  At least that I know of.

• alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    I'm guessing it was Gates.  That's the only place I've been to down there that fits the description you gave.  At least that I know of.
    My guess would be Bryant's downtown or LC's.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Doc, my guess is Arthur Bryant's. Went there in the spring for the first time (husband is from Wichita and we live in Philly). We had a BBQ "day" and ate dinner at Gates. Really ... not ... a good idea to have BBQ at restaurants twice in a day, not matter how good it sounds.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Doc, My guess is you're talking about Arthur Bryant's which I give a BIG thumbs up to.  My fav is Cooper's in Llano, TX.  Haven't found many good one's in Florida, but Brock's Smoke Hut in Winet Haven, FL is prob my favorite around here
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Pecan lodge in downtown Dallas. But since they filmed triple D with Guy there it's get there early or no soup for you. Opens at 11 line starts around 10:15. Only open Thurs-Sun, but weekends usually not as packed and also has burnt ends sometimes. Also want to try franklins in Austin, TX here it's insane.
  • Jacks Old South in Braselton, Ga.  Mighty fine ribs they have there.
  • BigC
    BigC Posts: 36
    Haven't been to Franklin BBQ in Austin but heard it is amazing as well.
  • Franklins is the best I've had. The list is long here in austin. Lived in KC for a while. Nothing even close to central TX BBQ IMO.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    We travel a lot and are always looking for good BBQ.  Here is a selection of some good ones we liked.

Adkins, Texas - Texas Pride - there are many more in the area that are better, but this one is worth a stop

Kingsville, TX - Big House BBQ - not much else in the area but this is pretty good

Madison, WI - Smoky Jons - Wisconsin is not notes for its BBQ, but this  one is definitely worth a stop.

Ocean Springs, MS - The Shed - If you're tired of other Southern Mississippi cuisine, this will be a welcome change of pace

Pasadena, TX - Grand Prize BBQ - Worth a stop

Almost any place in Lockhart, TX like Blacks

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    The Hickory House in Aspen, CO.  They have a second location in Parker, CO.  Both are very good.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    The Hickory House in Aspen, CO.  They have a second location in Parker, CO.  Both are very good.

Ribs are REALLY good....everything else is just decent IMO.