Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Restaurant stories

Options
Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited August 2012 in Off Topic
On other threads I’ve read great scary stories by those who have worked in restaurants. I think it would be great to have them all on one thread. I don’t have any myself but I worked with an Asian woman and when we would all go out to Chinese lunch she refused to order fried rice. She was absolutely convinced the rice fried was from diners’ plates. Oh yeah, there was the mess sgt. in Phan Thiet who’s pet mongoose would sit on his shoulder and said critter’s tail would drag in the food being served. Better than the C-rations we got in the field so no one complained.  Tell me your tales.
My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I once went 3 months without a hot meal. I was in Afghanistan and had nothing but MRE's. We finally got sick of it, geared up, and "convinced" one of the locals to give us a sack of rice, most of the vegetables in his garden, and 4 of his chickens(that's all we could catch).
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Boileregger
    Options
    My mom is a health inspector. At a Chinese restaurant she once found pigeons that had been trapped in the freezer, and a trap with a cat in it out the back door. Yum. Another one was a Mexican place that collected all the remaining salsa off the tables and dumped it back into the big salsa vat that everyone was served from. Don't want to waste it! :-)
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Yum Yum... boy I can't wait to get out again!!

Looks like a great thread to promote additional use of the Egg!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    ive seen a wendys employee power vomit in the salad bar, toss it all together and leave. probably should have said something
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Browninggold
    Options
    My brother owns a exterminator company. Chinese buffets are the worse.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Twenty years ago coffee machines were the norm around the plant I work in. One day when the service tech had the machine open to fill the various ingredients a co-worker reported that he'd seen ants in the machine the day before. The service tech reached over to his cart and pulled out a big can of Raid and proceeded to saturate the inside of the machine from top to bottom before closing the door. That was my last cup of machine coffee.

Working at the same place a few years earlier they had pull-knob candy machines around the plant, also. One day a machine jammed in such a way that you could pull any knob and get a free candy bar. This is a defense contractor plant full of college educated engineers and other professionals. Within MINUTES word spread and that candy machine was emptied. People that didn't even eat candy went out and pulled a few knobs!

My favorite was also at the same plant in the cafeteria. A co-worker had bought a chef salad, which was in a large plastic bowl covered with cellophane. When he removed the cellophane and dug in a LARGE roach crawled out. He got no sympathy from the manager, who just said, "hey, we can't get 'em all!". 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    I'm of two minds with this thread-one is "Thanks for the BGE so the lure of the restaurant is very low"; the other-"Perhaps the "ostrich" (head in the sand) approach is what I need for those times when "you just gotta bite the bullet and celebrate the (fill in the blank) occasion at a restaurant"".  Life is so cruel- :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options
    ive seen a wendys employee power vomit in the salad bar, toss it all together and leave. probably should have said something

What differentiates a plain vanilla vomit from a power vomit?
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Options
    In Viet Nam I watched a couple of cooks each holding the end of a long window screen.  They were sifting flour.  As the flour was sifted they tossed the weevls asside.  If you've read the Hornblower books you know that British sailors would tap their (hardtack) biscuts on the tables to disturb the weevls that would run out onto the table.  Then the sailors (including officers) would eat the biscuts.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    had a summer student job in UK many moons ago, still remember the master cake decorator putting the fancy frills and lace icing on wedding cakes ... whenever the delicate tip had a blockage he would kiss and suck to clear it
    :))
    canuckland