Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed for my personal rib-fest

Options
uncledave
uncledave Posts: 90
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I cleaned out my freezer and am planning on cooking ribs tomorrow. I have beef back ribs, country style pork ribs and pork spareribs. Can I cook these all at the same time? I have never cooked any of these. I have cooked a lot of pork baby back ribs.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    edited August 2012
    Options

For the record, nver have tried beef ribs and haven't done the others in a mix so with that as background-pork spares behave a lot like baby backs but will take a good hour or more longer at the same dome temp-search here for country ribs as they aren't really ribs.  There are several options for cooking them and below is one that I have used before:

Country ribs, so-called, are slices out of the pork butt. I don't foil ribs but find that country ribs tend to be either tough, or dry, without foiling. I wait until they reach around 160, then foil with  some cut (with water) apple juice, until the therm thru the foil reads 185-200. Then out to crisp, and sauce.  Enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm cooking Country Ribs tomorrow after church and I'm going to try the BBQ Pitboys method.  Basically they cook in a pan full of BBQ sauce direct 20-30 minutes then indirect the balance of the 1.25 to 1.5 hours total time in the pan.  Then take them out and give them a sear.  The reason I'm trying their method is like you said, they tend to get dry on me.  HOWEVER, I'm new to the Egg and country ribs might not get dry in the Egg.  Any thoughts anybody?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    The country ribs were very good.  I cooked the pan direct the whole time.  The BBQ/beer mixture the ribs cooked in was a nice sauce on the plate.  We will use this method as modified above again.
    Flint, Michigan