Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Favorite Utensils?

NattChukkNattChukk Posts: 15
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hey Everybody!

Just got my new egg table home and stained this morning. Will be adding the final coat tonight.

Just a quick question.

I am looking to aquire some really good utensils for my "Grilling Station"

Any Suggestions?

·

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,837
    Thermapen!
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,805

Thermapen!

+ 10 trillion it should be the first thing you buy.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    Add me to the thermapen fan club
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • FxLynchFxLynch Posts: 433
    For actual cooking utensils, I bought my current spatula, fish spatula, and tongs at ACE hardware.  They are nice quality with one piece metal that is full tang construction.  A little on the heavy side, but I am very pleased with them so far.

·
  • tenormantenorman Posts: 23
    My two sets of ice cube tongs that I use for handling the food on the grill.  I don't have a Therma-pen yet, we'll see if it trumps the tongs when I get it.

·
  • BaysidebobBaysidebob Posts: 489
    Long tongs from Home Depot.
    002e.jpg 152K
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • newegg13newegg13 Posts: 231
    Thermapen is next on my list. But to add something new to the mix, I'll say that a good pair of welding or other high heat gloves is key.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
    ·
    newegg13 said:

Thermapen is next on my list. But to add something new to the mix, I'll say that a good pair of welding or other high heat gloves is key.

Good call. Thick leather gloves are a must. Miah, get a dang thermapen already. I can't believe you don't have one.
    ·
  • mcmacmcmac Posts: 483
    Would have to agree with the group here... Thermapen and a good set of long tongs.

XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
    ·
  • I wasted money by not getting a Thermapen first! Mine just arrived today. Also can't live without tongs and a large fish spatula. Remember to always practice safe Q... Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    ·
  • tenormantenorman Posts: 23
    I have a pair of Weber grilling gloves...they're OK but not nearly as protective as they look.  Maybe the welding gloves are a better option!
    ·
  • How does the Thermapen brand thermometer compare to the BGE one of similar design?
    ·
    tenorman said:

newegg13 said:

I have a pair of Weber grilling gloves...they're OK but not nearly as protective as they look.  Maybe the welding gloves are a better option!
    I use a black pair of gloves from academy. They cost $10 and are in the grilling isle. They work great.
    ·
  • 3under3under Posts: 19
    fingers
    ·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,348
    Thermapen is much faster reading temps than the bge model One more for long tongs and a fish spatula I got mine from a sale at Williams Sonoma and really like the set
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151
    I find a knife and fork are good accessories! :D
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Bottle opener, cork screw, ice bucket.
  • Cheap utensil set from depot and brookstone set for the special cooks
    ·
  • I have a pigtail flipper that I like a lot for foods that can slip when using tongs.
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,383
    Bottle opener, cork screw, ice bucket.
    +1
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • I have a pigtail flipper that I like a lot for foods that can slip when using tongs.

+1

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

·
  • waited 3 years before i picked up a thermapen. best accessory hands down. I am also really glad I picked up a set of edlund 16" SS grilling tongs and a nice SS grill spatula.
    ·
  • thermopen...platesetter or some type of indirect set up...pizza stone
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,352
    Welding gloves or similar are great...especially if you want to remove a hot plate setter to go from indirect to direct.  

Gloves like these are also really nice.  Use them to pull pork or to grab a hot food off the egg.  I use these often instead of tongs to flip and move stuff. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • A friend of mine has these tongs - specifically made for flipping sausages/hot dogs. Possibly the best uni-tasker I've ever used.  Will be ordering my own soon assuming they'll ship to US.

http://www.pincegrillup.com/index.html

Also Thermapen +1,000 and grill mitt.
    Mamaroneck
    ·
  • +1 more on the thermapenand glove, I would also suggest a grill lifting tool.
    ·
  • MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Some type of grid lifting device.  Very handy when you have multiple grid levels.
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    A few months ago, BGE came out with a new grilling set that is really nice. They are pricey, but seem nice. The spatula drops lower than normal to accomodate the position of the grate on the egg.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • Fork

·
  • VitamanVitaman Posts: 46

Not so much a recommendation about what to buy, but where to buy accessories...I go to my local restaurant supply store.  Just bought some nice, heavy duty tongs for like $2.  I also picked up a pizza peel and cast iron piece that looks like a crescent moon that I can put to one side of the grate for less than $10 each.

Jeff

·