Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket time

ArlingtonGrill
ArlingtonGrill Posts: 65
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought a 7 1/3 pound brisket and planning a low/slow cook. From what I've read it seems like a good dome temp is 225? Already have it rubbed down and in the fridge and will bring it to room temp before putting on the egg. Am I right that this should take 1.5 to 2 hrs per pound meaning I'm looking at between 11 and 14 hours? I've done several pork butts however this is my first brisket. I assume it stalls the same? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Do it at 300 dome 260-275 grid for about 1-1.25 he's per lb. read the "first brisket Journey" thread from JW Burns. It's all in there and he is eating his as we speak. Good luck an let us know if we can help
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    edited August 2012

Below is a thread actively running today (8/11) titled First brisket Journey  that you should check-out.  (I cannot paste the link or I would). Bottom-line, dial that dome to around 290-300*F (+/-) and see the rest of the info.  Higher cook temp (within reason) gets you to the same finish-line wih less chance fo drying it out.  Based on the weight, I suspect you are wrestling with a flat-the window for home-run success is much tighter than with a packer but worth the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks. Just saw those threads and will read. Appreciate the temp advice.
  • Thanks guys. Pulled it off at 197 after 9 hours. It was incredible. I held the temp between 280 and 300 throughout. Happy cooking.
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Thanks guys. Pulled it off at 197 after 9 hours. It was incredible. I held the temp between 280 and 300 throughout. Happy cooking.

Strong work. I'm glad it turned out well.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

Thanks guys. Pulled it off at 197 after 9 hours. It was incredible. I held the temp between 280 and 300 throughout. Happy cooking.

That's textbook. Glad it worked out.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.