Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket story

Rubmyrock
Rubmyrock Posts: 266
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
So, this morning I got the egg up to temp and put my packer brisket on. Within a few minutes I get a call that my eleven year old son was stung by a sting ray at Myrtle beach and had to be taken to the hospital. Good news is my son is okay bad news is my wife and I are in the car and are going to be gone for a total of about 9 hours. I am curious as to what I will find when I return home and open the egg. BTW I out brisket on fat side up this time.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    1st off...glad your son is okay!!  

I think you're brisket will be fine, assuming it stabilized before you left.  Let us know what's what when you return.  Don't even worry about cuz it prolly will end up being the best brisket you've cooked. lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Rubmyrock
    My neighbor went over and said dome temp is 250, and internal 160. Four hours in. I feel pretty good about it now
  • This is where a Stoker would be nice.....I leave for hours at a time and I like being able to check my temps and adjusting the pit temp if needed on my iPhone

Also sleeping all night without a wondering how the pit temp is doing,  is also nice

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I've been stabbed by a stingray (they don't really sting) twice. It's not fun. You should get the stinger (stabber) from one and make him a necklace so he can brag to his buddies.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Rubmyrock
    Got home and was running low on lump. Briaket and grate were both at 180, dome at 200. I removed brisket because we were starving and it had been riding at 250 for almost 10 hours. (10 pound brisket). Fat cap slid off east with my wide spatula. Flipped over, sliced, and is the best meat I've ever cooked. I used a good amount of turbinado sugar, and half and half dizzy dust/ swamp venom. Also I injected last night with briaket inside package with a combination of allegro spicy marinade, beef broth and worchester. Amazing!!!! Very moist much unlike my last brisket. Not sure if fat cap up was the ticket but I felt sure the flat would have dried out facing down but much the opposite. I feel like I could not repeat this as I was not here during the entire cook. Very lucky indeed
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    glad your son is fine and congrats on the cook 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Great news for your son!! What a cook, I love it when it all works out, and it's even better when you have a story with its!!
  • Rubmyrock
    Thanks LS.. You seem to have mastered the brisket yourself. Everything I've done I've hijacked the ideas here!!!