Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making a chuck roast today

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Wife is picking up a 4 lb chuck roast now. Plan is to cover the roast with dizzy pig cowlick or butt rub and put on the egg at 225 grate thanks to the new Maverick. Mixin in some hickory chunks/chips.

Let it go to 160 then remove put in a pan with a little beef broth and cover. Back on the egg at 250 grate until the roast hits 205. Let sit for 1/2 to 1 hour ( depending on finish time) then pull it apart.

What do you think? Anything I should tweak?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Looks like a good plan. I do them very similar and always get good results. I think i prefer over pulled pork.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Sometimes with the chuck you'll need to go higher than 205 to make it easily pullable... Make sure to check for tenderness, don't assume when it hits a certain temp it's ready...
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited August 2012
    I've done mine similar but instead of pan, I have wrapped in foil with the beef broth and then also added red pepper, fresh jalapeños and onions cut up. These are really good mixed in with the beef.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited August 2012
    Sounds like a plan. Love chuck roast.
    Ive foiled and put in a pan to keep the juice. But i also injected with a stubs marinade.

Good luck on this. And I agree with Quinn, I've pulled at 205
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • robnybbq
    On for about an hour so far at 230 steady.

Garnerville, NY
  • Sounds good to me.

If you haven't tried already, definitely try chuck burnt ends. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Made one a few daze ago, removed it from the Egg at 180F internal temp and sliced it up. Wife said she's off red meat but made an exception 'this time'!!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Sounds like an interesting plan but a lot easier to just leave it on the grid the whole time until it reaches your desired temp/doneness (205-215) for pulling.  This is the way I've always done it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• robnybbq
    Won't that take a much longer time??

Garnerville, NY
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited August 2012
    Won't that take a much longer time??
    Good question, I'd say probably yes.  But I like to get a crusty exterior, just like I would with pulled pork (I do them exactly the same way, except for getting beef to a little higher finishing temp). I shoot for 235-250 grid temp.  

I'm doing a big clod tonight, I'll let you know (how much time per pound) it takes tomorrow after I pull it off.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• robnybbq
    Still going. Up to 138 after about 3+ hours and has stalled there for now. Got the egg up to 250. The smell coming out of the egg is SWEET.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Still going. Up to 138 after about 3+ hours and has stalled there for now. Got the egg up to 250. The smell coming out of the egg is SWEET.

Sounds like this will be one of those home-runs.  Enjoy as I know you have had a few challenges with the BGE but your perseverance should be rewarded with this cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    Temps dropped to 210. Meat at 145. Try to get back up to 250. Have had the bottom vent about 3/4 inch to 1 inch open. Dw petals open and only showing 235 for about a 1/2 hour. According to other posts this should be over 350-400 but who knows.

Garnerville, NY
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited August 2012
    If temp continues to drop, I'd check the charcoal grate holes.  It's the #1 reason why temps drop during a cook.  They get clogged with ash.  Take a coat hanger or something similar and poke up through the bottom vent into the grate holes.  Should take care of it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• robnybbq
    And at this rate it looks like maybe this will be lunch tomorrow instead. sucks as we have people coming for dinner. About to cancel or go get some burgers for the Weber gasser.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Well an hour ago we teaches 160. Took it off the egg and into a foil pan covered. Temps are climbing allot faster now. We may eat by 8.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Ok.

WIN!

Amazing. I can actually cook on the egg. Guests loved it as well. I now like pulled beef over pulled pork. I want to make another right now as I did not make enough for allot of leftovers. I enough for a sandwich.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Great results-congrats on the home-run.  Make some notes so you replicate the next time.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.