Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lots of white smoke on with chicken

Options
bertscampers
bertscampers Posts: 136
edited August 2012 in Poultry
I cooked a spatchcock chicken direct, raised to level of lid at 375.  I set up the charcoal and had temp at 375 for about 20 minutes.  The smoke was clear but when I put on the chicken it started to smoke a lot and the smoke was white.  It came out okay but the skin was a little over strong in flavour.  

Is this normal or is there something I could do to help this out.  I may try indirect next time.

Thanks

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options

Not sure what you mean by "strong in flavour" unless referring to smoke flavour.  That said, if that's what you had, then you had the off-smoke effect of the drippings on the lump.  You can go higher in the dome to mitigate or indirect as you mentioned. It's all in what works for you so experiment and just because I like a way of cooking spatchcock doesn't mean there isn't a better way for you.  Remember to enjoy the journey-that's the fun part:)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bertscampers
    Options
    cheers, I am enjoying the journey and appreciate all the help.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Do a set of chicken with drip pan and without, you will see the difference.
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    Chicken always puts off a ton of smoke when you cook it. That's true on the egg, a gasser, or even in your home oven. That's why you see lots of articles about how to roast chicken and get a nice crispy skin without setting off your smoke alarms. 
    XL BGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If you put just a little bit of lump in you will get the same effect as a higher grid

Steve 

Caledon, ON