Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on brines

Options
Brownie
Brownie Posts: 1,023
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a 4lb flat that was vacuum sealed in brine on tuesday (07 Aug 2011). I am trying this recipe shared by setdahook. I followed the recipe to the t. My question is will there be any bad consequences if I leave it there longer?, say another week?

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    It could taste quit salty if left in too long. However, the question is what is too long. You could take it out of the brine, rinse, soak and vacuum seal until you are ready to cook. Pastrami sounds so good.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A lot of people, myself included, just buy pre-made corned beef briskets, and soak them before turning them into pastrami. Those briskets have been sitting in seal bag w. spices for weeks, if not months. Typically, they need a 48 hour soak to flush out the excess salt and cure. In your case, maybe a add another hour of soaking, and a few water changes to offset the extra brine time. At worst, you will get pastrami that is a little too salty, which can be balanced by mixing it w. other foods that have no salt.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Thanks guys, I think I'll smoke it tomorrow.