Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will try first 2 butts on new BGE XL Tonight

Options
DaveM
DaveM Posts: 100
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought a case of butts earlier this year for a party, but couldn't fit them all on my old Brinkman smoker.  I tossed the extra 2 (all lathered up in a homemade rub) into the freezer.  I'll do my first overnight smoke on my 1-month old BGEXL tonight.  I still have the Brinkman, so I'll let it sit nearby and be jealous.

I finally got my CyberQ WiFi working.  Had a thread on that and getting the WiFi and email alerts setup is very kludgy.  Worked with their tech support via emails and got it working yesterday.  I think I will opt for getting the grate around 225-240F.  Not too picky about what time to eat dinner tomorrow.

On the BGEXL, what is the recommendation for amount of charcoal (I'm still using the BGE fuel) and lighting?  How high do you fill the fire pit for a long smoke?  I've read about the Elder Ward Method on some older posts where he suggests putting large pieces on the bottom and then filling with smaller pieces, but never saw how high to fill it...  Is that the preferred method?  Also, how much should I light it?  Once in the middle?  

I'm assuming that I will not need to replenish the fuel during the smoke.  Is that correct, or should I be on standby to add more?

Thanks for your advice!

--Dave

--Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Don't have an XL but you will definitely not need to add fuel once you load and light. Within reason, you cannot load too much lump-as long as you have good air-flow which the XL affords.  I'm sure XLEggsperts will be along with details.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i have a large and fill mine completely gonna use it anyway is my thinking . i only light the middle about a baseball size also i have the digiq i set that up put my plate setter in and grid and allow the pit viper to bring it all to temp let it run for about a hour toss some more chips (i place chips throughout the lump as well) in then put my meat on . i noticed doing it that way the dome and grid stay closer in  temp to each other from the start 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Options
    I'll clean out the grill thoroughly today to make sure the air flow is good, then fill 'er up.  BigPhil, do you put your platesetter with legs up, so you can have a drip tray on top of it?
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • bigphil
    edited August 2012
    Options
    @DaveM lo and slow i use platesetter legs up grid on top and either a pan or HD foil covering it 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    With the drip pan on platesetter-good to use spacers to create an air gap between the platesetter and pan.  Nearly eliminates drippings becoming burnt offerings.  You can use washers, balled up foil, stacked pennies -you get the idea.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigphil
    Options
    +1 lousubcap i always forget to do that am a slow learner or senile maybe both