Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Journey

Options
13»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    At those temps, it's about an hr per lb. It's the way I do it

Ok so if that holds true, it should be done at 5am. I could pull and foil it and it would hole till noon. That would be fine with me. 
    easy. Other than getting up at 5am on Saturday :)

That will work perfectly
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    At those temps, it's about an hr per lb. It's the way I do it

Ok so if that holds true, it should be done at 5am. I could pull and foil it and it would hole till noon. That would be fine with me. 
    easy. Other than getting up at 5am on Saturday :)

That will work perfectly
    use lots of towels around it. it will still be piping hot at noon if you pack it well in towels
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    Will do CT. Thanks for chiming in.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Wake up dude it's time to FTC!

XLBGE 
  • JWBurns
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Update at 8am. 

Brisket is foiled, toweled, and in the cooler! 

Up at 8am and the brisket was 191. I let it sit a bit longer till 194, and I that point I felt as though it passed the test. I woke up a few times during the night. She held around 153/156 pretty much the entire night. Yesterday I brought the grate temp down to 230, and at 3am, I bumped it to 250. The smell is exceptional. 

I expect to serve at 1pm. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Jason
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Looks like a winner.  At the risk of stating the obvious-spearate the point and flat and slice against the grain when ready to eat.  Flat grain is easy to see, the point is variable and inconsistent-just watch as you go.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JWBurns
    Options
    Looks like a winner.  At the risk of stating the obvious-spearate the point and flat and slice against the grain when ready to eat.  Flat grain is easy to see, the point is variable and inconsistent-just watch as you go.  Enjoy!
    Thanks @lousubcap

I've been reading quite a bit on preparation and even watched a few YouTube videos on it. 
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Looks great man! I feel like you nailed it, and that is a great feeling! Can't wait to see the sliced pics.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Really looks great! I got half a packer on now (flat/point end). It should be reaching stall temps pretty soon. 167* now. I'm trying the same temps you chose cause I'm tired of 2hrs per lb.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice job! Looks awesome. I think you got it.

Brownie- sounds perfect. I'm telling you, 2 hrs per lb is not only unnecessary, it dries the brisket out. I think you'll be happy with it a little hotter.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Man that looks awesome!! Congrats you did it and appears to be done well!!

XLBGE 
  • JWBurns
    Options
    Happy to report a successful first brisket cook.

Good smoke ring, moist, and extremely flavorful. Two of our guests told me that they normally do not like brisket at all, but that this was exceptional. Made me
    feel good, praise all around.

Thank you to everyone for helping me along. Some truly knowledgeable people on this board!

I'm fat, happy, and headed to the pool!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Jason
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Congrats on the home-run.  Enjoy and before you get too far into it-make a few notes so you have a chance of replicating down the road! 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice! Sounds like a winner.
  • ArlingtonGrill
    Options
    That looks like a winner. Got one ready myself and interested in your total cooking time. Was it an hour/pound? Thx.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Good Job...Looks Great!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice job! Wish my first brisket looked half that good!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited August 2012
    Options
    =D>
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • JWBurns
    Options

That looks like a winner. Got one ready myself and interested in your total cooking time. Was it an hour/pound? Thx.

She was 14lbs.. Took me exactly 16 hours.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Really looks nice. Glad you enjoyed it.
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Great job, so happy it all worked out for you!