Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st butt - 15 lbs rubbed with Bad Byron's butt rub and salt free dizzy dust (pics included)

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,653
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Was put on the egg 2 hours ago at 9h30.

will be ready at???

imageimageimage

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    It will be ready at 195 - 200 degrees.  What is your Egg temp, dome or grate? 
    As per Mr Maverick:
    Meat @ 97
    Grate @ 241

Dome is also at ~240 - That's weird...  It may be because the egg was already hot from cooking pizza for diner.

It is pouring rain right now, the egg is covered but it is windy...  I hope the temperature remains stable!

Grate at 241 you should be fine. If you did a hot cook prior to putting on the pork you are probably stabilized between dome and grate  Rain should not affect things, wind may raise temp up a bit but no issue there.  250 or so grate and you should be fine.  Figure 1.5 to 2 hours/pound however cook to temp, not time.  15 pounds is a big butt.  If you start running up against the clock tomorrow, you can either bump up the temp, or when you reach about 170 wrap in foil with a little apple juice for a couple of hours and you can speed things up.
    Grate at 241 you should be fine. If you did a hot cook prior to putting on the pork you are probably stabilized between dome and grate  Rain should not affect things, wind may raise temp up a bit but no issue there.  250 or so grate and you should be fine.  Figure 1.5 to 2 hours/pound however cook to temp, not time.  15 pounds is a big butt.  If you start running up against the clock tomorrow, you can either bump up the temp, or when you reach about 170 wrap in foil with a little apple juice for a couple of hours and you can speed things up.
    The thing is huge!  I'm actually scared to finish too early.  This is my 2nd low and slow and on my 1st (brisket), I finished cooking 5 hours earlier than planned...

Finishing early is no problem.  Actually better than having everybody waiting to eat.  If done early, take a cooler and warm it up with hot water, then empty it.  Wrap the butt in heavy duty foil, put it in the cooler and pack it with towels.  A butt that size will stay hot for hours (5+) and you will be good to go.  Often referred to here as FTC (foil, towels, cooler).   
    double Posts: 1,214
    It's ready when it decides it's ready I believe ... I held mine last weekend for about 4hrs or so FTC it was great. Got told off for using the nice white towels...
    Lynnwood WA
  • paqman
    Woke up at 6am, grage was @198 and meat @ 147.

I opened the bottom vent a little.

There is an awesome smell in the backyard!

looks really good 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • paqman
    looks really good 
    I cheated and grabbed a piece of bark  :D

Grate temp raised to 219 and meat is still at 147 - I guess it is the plateau.

edited August 2012
    @paqman lol i did the same when i pulled mine off this morning . entitlement i said when the wife said hey 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,081
    edited August 2012

@ OP-with the butt at 147*F or so, you most likely aren't yet into the stall-I see that around 160*F (+/-).  And don't be surprised if the temp actually drops during the stall which can last for several hours.   As mentioned above, you may want to get the grate temp up to around 250*F as finishing early is better than the alternative.  I have also seen another mini-stall in the mid 180's to around 190-can take 3-4 hours to get through that temp range although that one is not always a given.  Enjoy the end-results and the journey to get there.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman

@ OP-with the butt at 147*F or so, you most likely aren't yet into the stall-I see that around 160*F (+/-).  And don't be surprised if the temp actually drops during the stall which can last for several hours.   As mentioned above, you may want to get the grate temp up to around 250*F as finishing early is better than the alternative.  I have also seen another mini-stall in the mid 180's to around 190-can take 3-4 hours to get through that tmep range although that one is not always a given.  Enjoy the end-results and the journey to get there.

@lousubcap The temp raised to 149 for a short period of time and is now back at 147. It has been arround that temp for at least 3 hours now, it must be the stall...

Sure behaves like it-haven't seen one at that temp but every butt is different and around 12#'s is the largest I have ever cooked.  Thanks for the follow-up.  Learn something new every day.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231

Sure behaves like it-haven't seen one at that temp but every butt is different and around 12#'s is the largest I have ever cooked.  Thanks for the follow-up.  Learn something new every day.

Like LS said though, don't be surprised if you get another stall.  My first one last week stalled in the 170s and the 190s.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    My last one stalled at around 180-90 as well. Just turned up the heat a bit to drive it home. It was some of the best pulled pork I have ever tasted.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mole351
    Mole351 Posts: 110
    Wow - where'd you get a butt that big?
  • paqman
    Still at 151... Hopefully it will not hit another stall.

Mole351 said:

Wow - where'd you get a butt that big?

I asked my butcher ;)

I actually purchased a whole shoulder. I'll use the picnic half to make sausages.

I have to say that I am getting a bit nervous right now. I have to leave in 5 hours.

Dial up the grid temp to around 310-320*F to move it along-If still short in a few hours then time to break out the foil. 
  • Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    @paqman foil it and crank temp up some. It will power thru the stall
  • paqman
    Is it common to hit more than one stal?

Not common but the slow crawl through the mid 180's to low 190's does happen.  You can power through that as mentioned above.  Once you clear the main/big stall it's just a question of getting the hunk to the mid 190's-low 200's.  You mentioned leaving in a few hours-presume you are transporting this pig-how long a road trip as the initial time FTC'd will also help out.
  • paqman
    lousubcap said:

Not common but the slow crawl through the mid 180's to low 190's does happen.  You can power through that as mentioned above.  Once you clear the main/big stall it's just a question of getting the hunk to the mid 190's-low 200's.  You mentioned leaving in a few hours-presume you are transporting this pig-how long a road trip as the initial time FTC'd will also help out.

Just a few miles away. I cranked up the grate temp to 300.

edited August 2012
    Meat @ 160
    Grate @ 325

Back at it-if I understand your time-line you need to hit the road in about 2 hours. Time to wrap it in foil with a little liquid (apple juice...) heated up to about boiling before-hand and back on the BGE with the grate around 350 or so.  Hopefully this will get you to the finish-line in time.  If not, then you can take the foiled butt and once at your destination toss it in the oven-if that's not an option-you will be able to slice it and it will taste great just not pulled.  Have some Q sauce on the side with some cheap rolls and you will be good to go.
  • paqman
    Back at it-if I understand your time-line you need to hit the road in about 2 hours. Time to wrap it in foil with a little liquid (apple juice...) heated up to about boiling before-hand and back on the BGE with the grate around 350 or so.  Hopefully this will get you to the finish-line in time.  If not, then you can take the foiled butt and once at your destination toss it in the oven-if that's not an option-you will be able to slice it and it will taste great just not pulled.  Have some Q sauce on the side with some cheap rolls and you will be good to go.
    Meat @ 169
    Grate @ 340

I will foil and add some liquid. I don't have apple juice, what do you think of mixing bbq sauce with water?

I wanted to avoid the foil to keep a crusty bark... :(

BBQ sauce and water will work just fine-Bottom-line it will taste great-just a question of the finish texture.  No worries-enjoy. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    You can always unwrap at the end and throw it back on to harden the bark.