Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The downside of getting BGE over summer

Options
mrjwhit
mrjwhit Posts: 83
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've cooked on my BGE everyday since Father's day. I've had a blast! But now that school is back in session I've only cooked 2 times this week. I think I hear my egg sitting on my deck silently weeping. Why can't I bring my BGE for show and tell! I'll even cook burgers for my class. I promise. Please! (Said in my best whiny voice)
Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Are you a teacher or student?
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Sounds to me that you just need to make yourself a curriculum for the egg. Plan out your cooks,maybe have stuff already prepped and ready to go, so you get home start your fire, then go change to comfy clothes, get thr prepped meal out of fridge, throw on egg, grade some papers, then dinner is served! Just make it work!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options

Sounds to me that you just need to make yourself a curriculum for the egg. Plan out your cooks,maybe have stuff already prepped and ready to go, so you get home start your fire, then go change to comfy clothes, get thr prepped meal out of fridge, throw on egg, grade some papers, then dinner is served! Just make it work!

So right. Lizzie, that's what I have to do sometimes. It's the only way to make it work if you're busy.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • mrjwhit
    Options
    Now that will work! My students would flip out if we did pizza for our fraction lesson. Last year I just bought some cheap pizzas and threw them in the microwave. Horrible, but the lesson was fun. I can really see using the BGE this time around. Now a mini or a small is making more sense. 

I teach 2nd grade in Atlanta. 
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Hats off to you jwhit. Making a big difference in children's lives. And making great food to boot.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    It is easier if you have two eggs.  One is always ready to go and you can get the second one ready for the next day while you are cooking on number one.  The looftlighter gets your lump going hot fast so you can get it started, change into grilling clothes, and put your cook on within 20 to 25 minutes of lighting.  I grill every night, so it's all about preparation for me.  If you can get your significant other to help with prep or lighting, it is even quicker.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• LizzieSamps
    Options
    See there ya go, I know you will think of more ideas for their use too. Think about grate temp vs dome temp. Subtraction at its finest. 2nd grade is so fun, my babyis going into 2nd grade!
  • mrjwhit
    Options
    It is easier if you have two eggs.  One is always ready to go and you can get the second one ready for the next day while you are cooking on number one.  The looftlighter gets your lump going hot fast so you can get it started, change into grilling clothes, and put your cook on within 20 to 25 minutes of lighting.  I grill every night, so it's all about preparation for me.  If you can get your significant other to help with prep or lighting, it is even quicker.
    Seriously, I thought setting up my grill and putting the BGE lighter on a timer. Setting it to come on around 20 minutes before I should arrive home from work. To many "what if's" for my mind. This week it stormed so bad that it destroyed my canopy over my BGE. By my job is was sun shine and roses all day! DW is very afraid of fire so having her set it up is a NO GO. 

If I post pics of 20 2nd graders around the BGE you know I found a way to get it to school and into my courtyard outside my class.