Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Portability of small Egg?

JTC
JTC Posts: 20
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

thinking of adding a small to my large.  I dream of taking the small on picnics, to friends home, after mountain biking sitting around with a beer in the parking lot (tail gating), etc.. 

Anyone care to educate me -

Is it truly portable?   Looks like it weighs 80lbs.

Any great portability enhancements - carriers, etc.  to help load, unload, keep from turning over in the vehicle...

Is this a smart move - any and all tips encouraged.   thanks!!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    We take our small everywhere...currently we are camping with the small and mini at Lake Lanier in GA...my wife built a carrier for the small and mini...if you take the guts out of the small it weighs about 50-60 lbs...easy to transport...you will love it...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

I never took my small anywlhere. Take my Mini, it is so easy and the dif in area in just not enough to mess with.  Fits in an Igloo easy. Got the idea from Beli.

imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Somehow, when I saw the title, I knew don Toyota was going to have something to say about it :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

Somehow, when I saw the title, I knew don Toyota was going to have something to say about it :ar!

Same here. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    The small travels very well. I load and unload with all internals. Zero problems with the top....however I'm now I'm my 4th base.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Get a Potlifter to make it easy. I'm thinking about a small as well.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

x3

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it's pretty portable

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Vitaman
    Vitaman Posts: 46

I only have a small and bought it the week before going on vacation.  Took it with me with no problems.  Saved the box it came in and took out the guts and threw it in the back of my pick-up then put the guts back in with a towel between pieces for padding.  It was easy to carry by myself and I can actually cook quite a bit on it.  Last night I cooked a spatch chicken, 2 ears of corn, a squash and a whole package of brownies for dessert.

The grate is almost the same size as one of the Weber's, so you can get replacements at any home improvement store for $10 and most of the cheap standard pizza stones fit it too.

My dealer had a package deal with the nest which I would highly recommend. 

Jeff

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    I bring mine everywhere

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I put a piece of scrap wood on a back seat and the Small Egg on top of it. I use a seatbelt and a motorcycle tie down to secure it. Works fine. I bring a small nest along as well.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016

The small travels very well. I load and unload with all internals. Zero problems with the top....however I'm now I'm my 4th base.
    Why the fourth base Caz, what has been going on? Ya dropping them?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • cazzy

cazzy said:

Why the fourth base Caz, what has been going on? Ya dropping them?
    I was joking
    :^o
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I take the internals out of mine and put it in my trunk when we camp. Not heavy at all to move around.image
  • tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46
    Lit - what are the feet you have in the photo?  Have not seen them before
  • Man up you guys....

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Takes me about ten min to load and 15 to set up.

Jk, kinda.... It's not that bad but I do want a medium one day for tailgaiting.

XLBGE 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    tdbmd said:

Lit - what are the feet you have in the photo?  Have not seen them before

eggs used to come with them. If you go to your dealer he will either give you some or charge you a couple bucks each for them. The dealers keep them alot when people get a nest and don't need them.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Man up you guys.... Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Takes me about ten min to load and 15 to set up. Jk, kinda.... It's not that bad but I do want a medium one day for tailgaiting.
    Now I think we know how you squeezed that egg back there!

LOL, sorry couldn't help myself. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Ha ha ha =)) Awesome!
  • tazcrash said:

Man up you guys....

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Takes me about ten min to load and 15 to set up.

Jk, kinda.... It's not that bad but I do want a medium one day for tailgaiting.

I see it's going to be awhile before I live that one down.

XLBGE 
  • Small Big Green Egg...$500

Maverick Remote Grilling Thermometer...$35

KY plainly visible in the background of a picture you post on the internet...PRICELESS!

Thanks for the laugh and like a few have said before, you're a good sport.  Keep posting.

Flint, Michigan
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    We all know, its only until someone does the next one.

Btw, yellow mustard thanks you.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Man up you guys.... Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Takes me about ten min to load and 15 to set up. Jk, kinda.... It's not that bad but I do want a medium one day for tailgaiting.

I see it's going to be awhile before I live that one down.
    awhile think thats a understatement it was classic  =))
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2012

I'm lazy with the small and leave everything assembled, secure with wood shims, and ride out.

Pull to tailgate, dump lump, light egg, crack beer.

Coolers are for beer

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• If your shims are made out of hickory or apple you wouldn't even have to pull them out.  Light & smoke!
    Flint, Michigan