Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Science question (sort of)

Options
WickedIsland
WickedIsland Posts: 153
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been obsessing over my table. I purchased the compact table from BGE for my large and not all that impressed with the quality. I got caught in the rain twice and some of the table top boards warped a bit. Not the biggest deal but I need to sand and finish the thing. I am very much afraid of the top catching fire so I was wondering if I wrapped the top in copper sheeting if the lack of air (oxygen) between the wood and copper would prevent the wood from combusting during a hot cook. I would of course cover both sides of the top and wrap it around the opening. I like the idea of this look as well thinking it would be easy to wipe down (the raccoons like to visit my porch at night and I don't always get to cover the egg before bed) I don't like the idea of applying a varnish due to the flammable properties. Please forgive my ignorance for those who see this as a very silly/easy question (you guys are the ones who I hope will chime in) Thanks, Wicked

Comments

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

I have the compact table from BGE.  I actually like it unfinished.  I like the dirty natrual wood look.  Plus mine is covered so it does not get wet. I am confused on why you think it will catch fire? 

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    If you are able to keep O2 away from fuel, there can't be any fire.

I doubt wraping copper sheeting around the wood,would accomplish that.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • WickedIsland
    WickedIsland Posts: 153
    edited August 2012
    Options

I have the compact table from BGE.  I actually like it unfinished.  I like the dirty natrual wood look.  Plus mine is covered so it does not get wet. I am confused on why you think it will catch fire? 

Not too much space between the top and the egg and the wood gets hot. I think BGE could have cut a bigger hole (I did put bigger bricks under the egg and it helped a bit) I do cover it as much as possible. I just like wiping down a smoother surface that's all
  • WickedIsland
    Options
    If you are able to keep O2 away from fuel, there can't be any fire. I doubt wraping copper sheeting around the wood,would accomplish that.

If you are able to keep O2 away from fuel, there can't be any fire. I doubt wraping copper sheeting around the wood,would accomLplish that.

Thanks Travis. I may still do it just as a finish alternative. I could be worrying too much about the fire but had a few house fires in my neighborhood growing up and not something I want to experience myself
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The top will get very hot around the egg, but nowhere near hot enough to combust.  Too hot to touch is around 120 F and above.  For wood to burn, you need over 500 F.  It won't be a problem.  Typically the problem is with the bottom shelf, but if you follow the recommendations of BGE and users on the forum, (paver, air gap), that's not a problem either.

I would recommend paint or sealer on your whole table to make it more water resistant.  The volatile (flammable) component of paint or sealer will evaporate in a few hours and the wood will  be no more flammable than it was before.  If you want to put a copper top on, do it for aesthetic or ease of cleaning reasons.  There's no need to clad the bottom of the top (sandwich).  BGE wouldn't sell a table with a design that would spontaneously burst into flame during use.  Lawyers would put a stop to that in a NY second.

edited August 2012
    Options
    If you're concerned about it, go w/ a completely metal top, or a stone top (ie, granite, marble, etc).  
    For instance, I'm using travertine tiles for my top w/ only minimal (wooden) bracing underneath (just enough to keep the tiles held up).    

You'd have to wrap a wood top under vaccuum & seal it completely via welding in order to pull all the air out of it.  And even then, I would guess that, if you put something that is hotter than the wood's flammable point, the metal might hold up but the wood would still scorch (maybe not though, in a completely oxygen-free environment).  At any rate, you're never going to achieve that anyway.  
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • WickedIsland
    Options
    The top will get very hot around the egg, but nowhere near hot enough to combust.  Too hot to touch is around 120 F and above.  For wood to burn, you need over 500 F.  It won't be a problem.  Typically the problem is with the bottom shelf, but if you follow the recommendations of BGE and users on the forum, (paver, air gap), that's not a problem either.

I would recommend paint or sealer on your whole table to make it more water resistant.  The volatile (flammable) component of paint or sealer will evaporate in a few hours and the wood will  be no more flammable than it was before.  If you want to put a copper top on, do it for aesthetic or ease of cleaning reasons.  There's no need to clad the bottom of the top (sandwich).  BGE wouldn't sell a table with a design that would spontaneously burst into flame during use.  Lawyers would put a stop to that in a NY second.

Thank you, I do have firebricks and a nice air gap at the bottom. Funny, my husband said almost the same thing about BGE wouldn't sell them etc... but why would I listen to him :-O